Front brake master cylinder refurbishment

problems . solutions . product reviews . tips
limeyduffa
Two wheeled terror

Front brake master cylinder refurbishment

Postby limeyduffa » Sun Jan 23, 2011 11:59 pm

Hi All

Looks like the seals in my front brake master cylinder are sucking in air (brake showing signs of air in system and the fluid has bubbles when I bleed the m/cylinder). Part No: 61013001000.

US suppliers sell kits with everything (m/cycl, lever, reservoir, brake switch etc) for $200-$300USD. I'd be happy paying that. Sadly, US suppliers won't send to Australia. Local KTM suppliers want approx $600USD for the same thing.

Has anybody attempted to crack open the master cylinder and replace the seals ?

Cheers J
2012 990 SMT

MrZ32
Trackday hero

Re: Front brake master cylinder refurbishment

Postby MrZ32 » Mon Jan 24, 2011 2:51 am

mate... use www.hopshopgo.com

they have been great to use... gives you an american address so they can ship it there... they then send it through to you
08 SD, WP Dampener, 'Suspension Improvements" tuned sus (springs, valves, shim stacks ), KTM cowl, R&G carbon covers, Termi Pipes (from a duc 998), Grim990 Airbox, breather mod, SAS plates, tuneECU PDI tune, HM QS, JTM VS & DVS

Colonel_Klinck

Postby Colonel_Klinck » Mon Jan 24, 2011 8:21 am

I've not done it but rebuilding the master cylinder is very much an option I believe.
"They lie about marijuana. Tell you pot-smoking makes you unmotivated. Lie! When you're high, you can do everything you normally do, just as well. You just realise that it's not worth the f*cking effort. There is a difference."
The late Bill Hicks

ktmguy
Site Admin

Postby ktmguy » Mon Jan 24, 2011 11:56 am

Don't know how much it is but normally you just need the kit with the seal and so, not the reservoir, lever etc...
That is why it is so expensive. The repair/seal kit should only be a few tenners max.
Only order that if you need all the other bits.
You can check by taking it appart and inspect the bore. If the bore is OK just replace the seal.

If you still want it I can check how much it is in NZ. Two of my friends work at the KTM dealer and I can get them to send it to Oz no problem.
PM me if needed.
If you don't do anything stupid when young, you have nothing to smile about when old!

SD05
Two wheeled terror

Postby SD05 » Mon Jan 24, 2011 5:23 pm

With KTMGuy on this one. I’ve repaired / restored enough bikes and their brakes to confirm his comments and if the bore has wear don’t waste your time with a new seal, you’ll be back to square one in no time.

limeyduffa
Two wheeled terror

Postby limeyduffa » Tue Jan 25, 2011 2:05 am

Thanks for replies guys :) . I'll pull it down and inspect the bore.

Ktmguy: How do you pull this unit apart ?. I presume the boot pulls off giving you access to a circlip holding the piston in place ?. Thanks for your offer about getting parts from NZ. I'll get back to you :)

Regarding KTM Australia's 300% markup on OEM parts and KTM preventing Australians accessing international suppliers. Does anyone know KTM's reason for doing this ?. I'm sure Consumer Affairs would be keen to know as well. I don't bitch about things like this and I have never really minded waiting 1-2 months to get parts via local dealers, but this is bullshit :evil:. I am buying a new bike in a few months. This issue will probably cost KTM a return customer.

J
2012 990 SMT

limeyduffa
Two wheeled terror

Postby limeyduffa » Tue Jan 25, 2011 8:33 am

I pulled down the m/cylinder to inspect seals and bore. Here is the break down:

The boot is easy to get off. It retains the piston. There is a small hole at the bottom of the cylinder. You just push a small jewellers screwdriver through the hole and pop the boot off. Once that is removed, the piston and spring comes out.

The piston is double sealed. I'm not sure why. Would this require a special priming/bleeding procedure to stop air getting pumped into system when I rebuild ?

The leading seal (the seal on the right of the blown up inserted image) is retained with a circlip and is easily removed. I'm not sure how to remove the rear seal (left seal). The edging seal looks to be the primary one that pressurises the fluid. The chamber between the two seals is in contact with the reservoir outlet, so it would presumably fill up. I'm not sure how you would extract all air from this chamber, or if you would need to ?

Inspecting the bore and seals. The bore looks good from running my finger down it (I can't feel any wear), although you can see that bore has been polished from the seals. The leading seal looks a bit shagged.

J
2012 990 SMT

ktmguy
Site Admin

Postby ktmguy » Tue Jan 25, 2011 12:27 pm

From the look of it a new seal kit would fix it. As long as the bore is smooth, which I can't really see from the pic.
Feel probably will not tell you much, shine a torch light in it and look for scratches, imperfections and a "rim" where the piston always stops, if it looks good it should be ok.
Sometimes they can be honed too but don't try that unless you have done it before.
If it was me I would try with just a seal kit anyway regarding the cost of the other stuff.
If you don't do anything stupid when young, you have nothing to smile about when old!

loony888
Stunt rider

Postby loony888 » Wed Jan 26, 2011 2:20 am

no luck whatsoever finding a rebuild kit from the genuine parts fische, either here in australia or a UK based company.

http://shop.jimaimracing.co.uk/acatalog ... 05-06.html

this is the cheapest m/cyl i can find, anyone know where there's a cheaper one?

http://www.yoyodyneti.com/ProductInfo.a ... 10.8210.51

paul.
I was going how fast officer?

SD05
Two wheeled terror

Postby SD05 » Wed Jan 26, 2011 2:41 pm

Sounds like you need to do some Google time.

The US comapny I used for Brembo parts seems to have gone.

Try this link, may not be the end answer for you, but could put you on the trail;

http://www.moto-racing.co.uk/cat--Bremb ... pares.html

limeyduffa
Two wheeled terror

Postby limeyduffa » Sat Mar 12, 2011 9:47 am

New m/cylinder arrived a few days ago. I fitted it today. Also fitted new brake pads. It's brakes like a brand new bike again :). Thanks for help guys :)
2012 990 SMT

loony888
Stunt rider

Postby loony888 » Sun Mar 13, 2011 5:42 am

where did you end up getting the m/cyl from? can you tell us what it cost you too?

cheers,
paul.

Aussieduke
Two wheeled terror

Postby Aussieduke » Mon Mar 14, 2011 5:34 am

Just a suggestion...... you could investigate having the M/cylinder resleeved in brass or stainless. Then buy a cup or piston kit from KTM, if available. Otherwise a lot of these common bore size brake and clutch cups are interchangable between car manufacturers parts.

Just takes time and a bit of legwork. Most brake part shops have individual cups if you take a sample and old cylinder/bore size in they may match it up. If you wipe the cup inside there should be a part number/brand. Try Repco in Australia too.

There used to be a cylinder resleeving service in Lismore NSW, called Hallidays years ago. Otherwise some of the Brakeshops can sent it away to be resleeved, takes a few days.

Cheers
You don't stop riding because you get old, you get old because you stop riding !!

Twisted Jester
Race ace

Postby Twisted Jester » Tue Mar 15, 2011 12:09 am

SD05 wrote:Sounds like you need to do some Google time.

The US comapny I used for Brembo parts seems to have gone.

Try this link, may not be the end answer for you, but could put you on the trail;

http://www.moto-racing.co.uk/cat--Bremb ... pares.html

Looks to me on that website that you can buy a repair kit, our brake master cylinders look like the forged ones the kit is made for but difficult to know if they are the same for sure.

yoyodyne also sell the kit but their picture of a forged cylinder looks different to the one on moto-racings website
Longest ride on one wheel, 8 miles....

....if only I could do it on my SD.

loony888
Stunt rider

Postby loony888 » Wed Mar 16, 2011 9:44 am

i think ours are the cast type TJ, i e-mailed them and they offered me a forged one with a spare kit for a pretty good price, i'll wait and see if mine bleeds up ok first of course.

paul.

limeyduffa
Two wheeled terror

Postby limeyduffa » Sat Dec 15, 2018 6:37 am

Hi All,

Fast forward 8 years, and a different model of 990, I have the same problem. This time I decided to fit a Brembo 19 RCS front brake.

Pics and a write up here.

http://www.ktmsmt.com/viewtopic.php?f=1 ... 005#p69005

Cheers
2012 990 SMT

Return to Technical - Dr F's Words of Wisdom