To the people who did fuel filters...

problems . solutions . product reviews . tips
AGRO!
Master of the twisties

Re: To the people who did fuel filters...

Postby AGRO! » Sat Feb 09, 2013 7:33 am

gfunkmc wrote:Right anyone taking the fuel pump out be carfull of the little earth connector to the pump if it catches on the tank on the way out it pulls the wire and spade conector from under the pump in the housing but not visable till pump is taken apart !!!!

Thanks for the heads up :D

ktmguy
Site Admin

Postby ktmguy » Sat Feb 09, 2013 8:39 am

Doon wrote:I brought one of these to try. good for 50+ psi, $40 nz to my door from a nz distributor.
oz company too.

http://www.aeroflowperformance.com/cata ... ex/filters

Got one of these today from the local performance shop. Great deal for Aus$30!
Awsome find Doon, thanks!
If you don't do anything stupid when young, you have nothing to smile about when old!

utahrpm
Minimoto racer

Postby utahrpm » Mon Jul 22, 2013 11:09 pm

This is probably old news, but I bought the JEGS filter and am installing it today. However, it appears that the airbox is in the way when attempting to install between the quick disconnect and the throttle bodies. What am I missing here?

Also, how do the pre and post filters remove? I have the pump out but don't want to just start pulling, and actually I don't see the pre-filter.

Thanks.
Rick P. SLC, Utah
'07 SD
'04 Ducati ST4S
'99 Ducati 900SS
'03 KTM 640 Adventure
'04 KTM 950 Adventure
'02 KTM 520 EXC
'76 BMW R90S
'67 BMW R60/sidecar
'63 HD FLH "Panhead"
'71 & '79 Triumph Bonneville

ktmguy
Site Admin

Postby ktmguy » Tue Jul 23, 2013 4:31 am

utahrpm wrote:This is probably old news, but I bought the JEGS filter and am installing it today. However, it appears that the airbox is in the way when attempting to install between the quick disconnect and the throttle bodies. What am I missing here?

Also, how do the pre and post filters remove? I have the pump out but don't want to just start pulling, and actually I don't see the pre-filter.

Thanks.

Hmmm we don't have the airbox anymore... :?
Lots of peeps here changed to the motohooligan or cpr rotty filter setup.

Pre filter is on the top part of the pump, that part comes off when you CAREFULLY open the tabs a bit with a screw driver.
I believe there is a how to on the forum somewhere use the search feature.
If you don't do anything stupid when young, you have nothing to smile about when old!

utahrpm
Minimoto racer

Postby utahrpm » Tue Jul 23, 2013 1:23 pm

Thanks. I figured it out. I pryed the fuel line from it's retainer on the bottom of the stock airbox which allowed the Jegs filter to be connected and live somewhat outboard, between the airbox and the frame. Also removed the course filter and cleaned, but it is still brown, unlike the nice new white ones. Anyone find a reasonably priced replacement for this? The o-ring that seals the pump to the tank is also shot, so I'll be searching the hydraulic rebuilding businesses today as I'd prefer not to give ktm $45.00 for the o-ring kit.
Rick P. SLC, Utah
'07 SD
'04 Ducati ST4S
'99 Ducati 900SS
'03 KTM 640 Adventure
'04 KTM 950 Adventure
'02 KTM 520 EXC
'76 BMW R90S
'67 BMW R60/sidecar
'63 HD FLH "Panhead"
'71 & '79 Triumph Bonneville

ktmguy
Site Admin

Postby ktmguy » Wed Jul 24, 2013 2:33 am

utahrpm wrote:Thanks. I figured it out. I pryed the fuel line from it's retainer on the bottom of the stock airbox which allowed the Jegs filter to be connected and live somewhat outboard, between the airbox and the frame. Also removed the course filter and cleaned, but it is still brown, unlike the nice new white ones. Anyone find a reasonably priced replacement for this? The o-ring that seals the pump to the tank is also shot, so I'll be searching the hydraulic rebuilding businesses today as I'd prefer not to give ktm $45.00 for the o-ring kit.

Putting the all assembly back in the tank is a bit of a pain, I'm normally very careful but I damaged the O-ring too despite having some lube on it.
I have a O-ring kit and I put one of those in, hasn't leaked since (5 months) , so I can confirm any o-ring that fits and is oil resistant will work. Screw $45 bucks!

fazer_1000
Two wheeled terror

Postby fazer_1000 » Tue Aug 27, 2013 5:33 pm

Any updates from guys who did this mode and gone through some serious miles by now?

Anywhere to buy it with normal p&p costs to Israel perhaps?

guglemonster
Minimoto racer

Postby guglemonster » Mon Feb 16, 2015 8:20 am

i'll be damned :)

sorry to "bug in" but we have being running a similar setup in Italy for many km now

we use a totally different approach, for us, ADV, SM and SD so far, the in-line fuel filter must be BIG :)

I work only with big automotive fuel system, maximum 8 microns rated, optimal 5 microns

the bigger the filter, even if the screen is better, the more volume of petrol will be at the injectors when needed

for now we use 4 different filters with same output

BOSCH, GM, MAZDA and ASHIKA

the ashika was recently mounted on a 2008 SD with an incredibly simple and efficient way

picture is wrong, the filter has to flipped up-side down :) but was just to show position

due to it's uge size and the fuel cap 0 micron perfiltering, it will never need changing again, it serves only for safety and water separation (should it ever be needed)

the teabag, original ktm II generation, was simply regenerated with injector cleaner and fresh petrol mixture, 4 washing, and gentle blowing with air

I knw at least 10 bieks running such a set-up, mine has 20.000km plus on che clock, friend of mine, 45.000km, rest a mixture between 15.000 and 30.000 km they ALL go like rockets, most of them have problem keeping the front tyre on the tarmac ahahahaha :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

it is one of the best modification youn can do to an LC8 engine, it's funny paper shite is not up to the task

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

crikks11
Minimoto racer

Postby crikks11 » Sun Apr 19, 2015 2:20 am

Do 40 micron filter (Jegs Aeroflow...) work or should it be 10 micron? (if I'm running it with out second pump filter)
2007 990 SD
2015 1290 SDR

bazz21
Two wheeled terror

Postby bazz21 » Sun Apr 19, 2015 4:07 am

crikks11 wrote:Do 40 micron filter (Jegs Aeroflow...) work or should it be 10 micron? (if I'm running it with out second pump filter)

any inline filter that has a rating of 5 microns is what u r after your injectors are small not like a car

Aphex
Site Admin

Postby Aphex » Wed Aug 12, 2015 10:39 pm

Any reason why everyone has mounted their inline filters between the quick disconnect and the TB, and not between the fuel pump and quick disconnect?

My reasoning is purely aesthetic, so if there's something I'm missing feel free to call me an idiot :D
08 SD, Mivv Suono, Rottweiler airbox. Current map: One some guy sent me from the internet.

Me so Hoony.

denuff

Postby denuff » Thu Sep 03, 2015 6:24 pm

Aphex wrote:Any reason why everyone has mounted their inline filters between the quick disconnect and the TB, and not between the fuel pump and quick disconnect?

My reasoning is purely aesthetic, so if there's something I'm missing feel free to call me an idiot :D

ITS to close to the frame ,and à pane in the ass to reach it then

Did mine today after issues on full throttle, a moment no power and f1 light comes one than its gone again ?

Clean filters forr 2 times now . So let's hope it's gone whit this mod.......(got the torques inline filter )

Tyler Durden
Minimoto racer

Postby Tyler Durden » Fri Sep 14, 2018 4:16 pm

Just resurrecting this old thread. Is there a reason why it has lapsed?
Is there now a better way to get shot of the troublesome paper filter?

nampus
Stunt rider

Postby nampus » Sat Sep 15, 2018 6:59 pm

Replaced my paper filter with an inline filter like many before me.
Bike started holding back on acceleration, replaced the paper filter and the problem was gone.

Tyler Durden
Minimoto racer

Postby Tyler Durden » Sun Sep 16, 2018 6:50 pm

@Nampas
Which inline filter did you try?

nampus
Stunt rider

Postby nampus » Sun Sep 16, 2018 7:16 pm

motoyoyo
Minimoto racer

Postby motoyoyo » Mon Sep 17, 2018 7:30 pm

There is a good alternative to the oem filter, at a way better price, if you want to keep the original in-tank setup,
https://advrider.com/f/threads/fuel-fil ... on.874262/
2008 990 SDR US, Full Titanium Akro, Rottweiler Airbox, SAS Blockoff

Tyler Durden
Minimoto racer

Postby Tyler Durden » Wed Sep 19, 2018 8:48 pm

That's what I've just ordered. Are you saying it didn't work for you?

Tyler Durden
Minimoto racer

Postby Tyler Durden » Wed Sep 19, 2018 8:50 pm

Also, when you were using the inline filter had you removed the in tank paper filter?

Tyler Durden
Minimoto racer

Postby Tyler Durden » Wed Sep 19, 2018 9:23 pm

The filter is rated at a through put of 900l per hour, it's surely not possible that it was restricting the flow enough to make the engine starved of fuel.

That flow rate is enough to empty the tank in a one minute!

nampus
Stunt rider

Postby nampus » Thu Sep 20, 2018 7:15 pm

I removed the paper filter from the fuel pump and put that filter I posted earlier in line between the fuel pump and the throttle bodies.
Problems were solved, no more bogging down on full throttle.

Previous

Return to Technical - Dr F's Words of Wisdom