DNA Filters

problems . solutions . product reviews . tips
Finnster
Minimoto racer

DNA Filters

Postby Finnster » Tue Jul 04, 2006 5:01 pm

Does anyone have a source to buy DNA filters? They dont have any distributors over here in the U.S.

The SD part number is:

P-KT9S06-01 for the KTM LC8 990 SUPER DUKE 06'

Im sure its the same for the 05' SD's as well.

Thanks!

someone
Site Admin

Postby someone » Tue Jul 04, 2006 5:39 pm

jeff i'm waiting for my dealer to have one delivered so he can fit it on my bike.

just called him and he said he could order a second one, price is approx 80 euros, but will verify tomorrow. if you want i can post it over to the US

let me know
Angelo

Finnster
Minimoto racer

Postby Finnster » Tue Jul 04, 2006 7:52 pm

someone wrote:jeff i'm waiting for my dealer to have one delivered so he can fit it on my bike.

just called him and he said he could order a second one, price is approx 80 euros, but will verify tomorrow. if you want i can post it over to the US

let me know

Angelo,

That would be awesome! I will take you up on that offer. Do you have a paypal account? Hit me up on my email...I think you have it.

Jeff

Finnster
Minimoto racer

Postby Finnster » Mon Jul 17, 2006 5:46 pm

Installed my DNA filter that I bought on ebay yesterday. Quality piece..fit perfectly. I let the bike idle for 20 minutes and then took it for a spin. Bike runs great...I cant really tell if its running better or not....sorry, no before and after dyno runs. I suspect the best reason for this is the fact that I can clean and reuse the filter.

I really love this bike!

someone
Site Admin

Postby someone » Mon Jul 17, 2006 6:29 pm

ditto

had it fitted last tuesday, seat of the pants dyno feels about the same. certainly not worse than before...

one funny thing is that the bike used to cut out at traffic lights, doesn't anymore... not sure if it's the DNA filter though ... I also get less backfiring when decelerating (which can be good or bad depending on how you judge it)
Angelo

Finnster
Minimoto racer

Postby Finnster » Tue Jul 18, 2006 12:15 am

someone wrote:ditto

had it fitted last tuesday, seat of the pants dyno feels about the same. certainly not worse than before...

one funny thing is that the bike used to cut out at traffic lights, doesn't anymore... not sure if it's the DNA filter though ... I also get less backfiring when decelerating (which can be good or bad depending on how you judge it)

Rode again today...I think it runs better....it might be my mind justifying the purchase but it was ripping up wheelies today!

spo002

Postby spo002 » Thu Jul 20, 2006 11:28 am

Had a DNA filter installed today. Bike runs better. It breathes easyer. A must do IMO.

lockers
Stunt rider

Postby lockers » Mon Aug 14, 2006 6:27 am

Well, DNA air filters for ride_ktm and myself arrived in the post today... Impressions coming soon...

I'll have a before and after Dyno done too that I'll post up in here as soon as it's done (this weekend no doubt)... For those that are interested to have a look.
And then on the eighth day, The Devil created the KTM Super Duke 990 ; cos he was a bad ass, and had to get around town..... God secretly wished he had one.

someone
Site Admin

Postby someone » Tue Aug 15, 2006 5:21 pm

yes please :D

there's a new picture gallery link at the top of the page (see announcement in hooliganism forum at top of page). would be very interested to see the difference
Angelo

lockers
Stunt rider

Postby lockers » Sat Aug 19, 2006 12:05 am

Dynographs coming soon, but I can confirm for a SD with pipes and akro mapping, a DNA filter is good for about 2.5 Hp. Fitted the air filter while the bike was still on the dyno. ;-)
And then on the eighth day, The Devil created the KTM Super Duke 990 ; cos he was a bad ass, and had to get around town..... God secretly wished he had one.

lockers
Stunt rider

Postby lockers » Wed Oct 11, 2006 1:42 am

Sorry.... been lazy....

KTMax
Stunt rider

Postby KTMax » Wed Oct 11, 2006 4:35 am

Thanks Lockers, this is useful info! Do you have Akra slipons or a full system?

I would have prefered the power gain in the low end and midrange but still a good improvement for just swapping an air-filter.

The shape of your graphs look identical to mine. You can see the sub-optimal fuelling up to 7K just by the shape of the graphs. We really need the possiblity to modify the fuel maps on our SDs to get the best from them.

I am in contact with Tuneboy (Wayne McDonald) from Australia. These guys are the experts on Keihin EFI systems as used on Triumphs. They are more than willing to make their TuneEdit software available for the EFI KTMs too but they need a cooperative dealer and/or owner of an SD to test and set things up. This would be 'tuning-heaven'. Much better and more sophisticated than a Powercommander or Rapid Bike Module. Have a look:

http://www.tuneboy.com.au/

BTW, I would help to speed things up if they received more inquiries from us SD owners. HINT!... :)

jim620scot
Two wheeled terror

Postby jim620scot » Wed Oct 11, 2006 6:29 am

Yes, I would be up for a Tuneboy also. I will send them an E-mail to show my interest. This would be the ideal solution to set up the fueling, disable the SAS?, etc. Also its looks like the Rapid guys have gone quite, maybe their installation didn't go well?.

rigga
Wheelie king

Postby rigga » Wed Oct 11, 2006 8:18 pm

Have emailed wayne also........ when i had a speedtriple the tuneboy was just taking off and i watched with interest its reception.... pretty soon there was lots of posative comments in the triumph fraternaty..... and lots of choice regarding different tunes for varying applications,was interested in purchasing one then but sold the trumpet..... would seem ideal for the sd now though as i dont have the Akro's fitted for the Akro map to be perfect for my bike....... i did download a preview of the tuneboy software at the time to get a feel of its functions,looked good and so easy to operate with a lead and laptop..... will have a search to see if i still have it

OpToBlAst_990
Minimoto racer

Postby OpToBlAst_990 » Thu Oct 19, 2006 10:40 am

JUst to add my positive experience and 'backside dyno' assessment - the DNA filter is the best £58 I've spent on tuning. Throttle response is crisper and the engine more responsive, the bike revs faster & pulls harder - wheelies are even more frequent. I thought I was imagining it at first, as immediately before riding my SD for the first time with the DNA fitted, I'd done a trackday on a CBR600RR, but no, I'm not mistaken - the dynograph confirms it. I'd recommend anyone doing this mod. I was going to lower the gearing, but now I'm not going to bother, such is the improvement of the bike.

rigga
Wheelie king

Postby rigga » Thu Oct 19, 2006 11:00 am

Where did you source your DNA filter from for £58 ?...........

OpToBlAst_990
Minimoto racer

Postby OpToBlAst_990 » Thu Oct 19, 2006 10:04 pm

Ebay. Edrivestore is the seller. Including v.quick postage from Athens, total was £63. Bargain.

KTMax
Stunt rider

Postby KTMax » Fri Oct 27, 2006 7:08 pm

Got my DNA filter today for €100. I'll fit it during the weekend.

Black Superduke
Two wheeled terror

Postby Black Superduke » Mon Oct 30, 2006 9:01 am

The DNA filter has a slight lower delta P, you might need to remap the engine.

Marcel.
Former V-max driver who knows better now

madmaxmasalla
Two wheeled terror

Postby madmaxmasalla » Mon Oct 30, 2006 2:15 pm

Black Superduke wrote:The DNA filter has a slight lower delta P, you might need to remap the engine.

Marcel.

can you explain it better ? thanks!

KTMax
Stunt rider

Postby KTMax » Sat Nov 18, 2006 6:42 am

OK the weather finally allowed a test ride.

Wow... this filter really works! :shock: A clear improvement in throttle response and smoothness. The sometimes snatchy and jerky FI response is virtually gone just as the occasional surging on small throttle openings (crawling through traffic). Amazing! Midrange power & torque feels fatter and smoother too with a slightly darker sound from the engine. Nice... I couldn't really test top-end power but I'm pretty sure that improved as well although not very important for me. It isn't exactly 'lacking' in this area... :wink:

I'm not yet sure how only an air filter can make such an improvement in throttle response, smoothness and rideability but it does. GREAT!

Welshy
Two wheeled terror

Postby Welshy » Sun Nov 19, 2006 5:14 pm

Have you all got aftermarket exhausts or are some running the DNA filter with stanard exhauts?
Welshy

"Life begins at 45º!"

Black Superduke
Two wheeled terror

Postby Black Superduke » Mon Nov 20, 2006 6:36 am

Madmaxmasalla,

lower delta P means that the air runs easier through the airfilter. Delta is difference, P is pressure.

Sorry for my late response.
Former V-max driver who knows better now

smackman
Two wheeled terror

Postby smackman » Sat Jul 07, 2007 8:58 am

Finnster wrote:Installed my DNA filter that I bought on ebay yesterday. Quality piece..fit perfectly. and then took it for a spin. Bike runs great...I cant really tell if its running better or not....sorry, no before and after dyno runs. I suspect the best reason for this is the fact that I can clean and reuse the filter.

I really love this bike!

I let the bike idle for 20 minutes ..
Its it nessesery to do so ??

Freestyler
Master of the twisties

Postby Freestyler » Sat Jul 07, 2007 10:42 am

Excellent , after fitting new cans ,this shoud all ways be your next mod to eney bike DNA 'K&N ,Fillter ,and you will be sirprised how it helps with less wear and tear on the engin becose thay breath so much beter you whont find your self ringing the berrys out of it to get it up and going ,and you will hear the bike talking to you throw the Air box :lol: 8)

Next

Return to Technical - Dr F's Words of Wisdom