Oil Sight Tube Replacement

problems . solutions . product reviews . tips
somwone
Minimoto racer

Postby somwone » Sat Jul 12, 2014 1:49 am

So mine started leaking and there would be a small palm sized stain on the ground whenever I parked for a while. I bought some R/C fuel line off Amazon and it came in today. I couldn't get the line off the fittings, so I ended up cutting it off. The R/C line had the right outside diameter but the inside diameter was too small. I grabbed some tubing that I used for brake bleeding which fit pretty snuggly. I started up the bike, held the RPM's around cruising and watched the tube. Oil went through, no leaks. So...

Would I be okay with just some random brake bleed tubing, or do I run the risk of it popping off while riding or eventually deteriorating from the heat?
"Find what you love and let it kill you."
― Charles Bukowski

KTMDark
Minimoto racer

Re: Oil Sight Tube Replacement

Postby KTMDark » Sat Jul 12, 2014 2:20 am

Just go to your local mower shop and get a bit of Tygon tubing used for fuel line on power equipment. I forget what size I got, but it fit perfect and got a foot for a couple of bucks. It is impervious to gas and oil and very flexible. It installs easily with the fittings in place, just lean the bike against the wall a few degrees to keep it from dripping during the swap. Install the bottom first in case of a drip. It fits nice and snug and didn't leak, but I used a couple of tiny zip ties for hose clamps just in case. Mine has been on for over a year now and looks the same as it did the day I put it on. I keep another piece in my tool kit just in case.

ktmguy
Site Admin

Postby ktmguy » Sat Jul 12, 2014 6:59 am

KTMDark wrote:Just go to your local mower shop and get a bit of Tygon tubing used for fuel line on power equipment. I forget what size I got, but it fit perfect and got a foot for a couple of bucks. It is impervious to gas and oil and very flexible. It installs easily with the fittings in place, just lean the bike against the wall a few degrees to keep it from dripping during the swap. Install the bottom first in case of a drip. It fits nice and snug and didn't leak, but I used a couple of tiny zip ties for hose clamps just in case. Mine has been on for over a year now and looks the same as it did the day I put it on. I keep another piece in my tool kit just in case.

+1 I did that and I even got half a meter just in case. Never needed it, surplus bits still sit under the seat.
If you don't do anything stupid when young, you have nothing to smile about when old!

somwone
Minimoto racer

Postby somwone » Sun Jul 13, 2014 2:20 am

I went out last night and went about 50 miles with it. Checked it and no leaks whatsoever. I feel like it'll hold and do the job, but I'm going to go find a shop to and pick up some fuel line from them anyways, since that's apparently what's tried and true.

Thanks guys.
"Find what you love and let it kill you."
― Charles Bukowski

Sarasota_Steve

Postby Sarasota_Steve » Thu Jun 11, 2015 7:20 pm

KTMDark wrote:Just go to your local mower shop and get a bit of Tygon tubing used for fuel line on power equipment. I forget what size I got, but it fit perfect and got a foot for a couple of bucks. It is impervious to gas and oil and very flexible. It installs easily with the fittings in place, just lean the bike against the wall a few degrees to keep it from dripping during the swap. Install the bottom first in case of a drip. It fits nice and snug and didn't leak, but I used a couple of tiny zip ties for hose clamps just in case. Mine has been on for over a year now and looks the same as it did the day I put it on. I keep another piece in my tool kit just in case.

It is Tygon F 4040 A. I bought 12" for $1 5/32" ID = 4mm roughly.

Ride Hard,
------------------
Sarasota_Steve
18 1290 SDR
09 Aprilia Sportcity
04 SV650

bic_bicknell

Postby bic_bicknell » Thu Jun 11, 2015 7:48 pm

This is a common problem on SDs. Check that stupid pipe every time you clean the bike!
Past: Honda CB125J, Honda TL125, 1963 Triumph Tiger 90, Yamaha RD250, Kawasaki KH250, Kawasaki 400 S3, Kawasaki KH400, Kawasaki Z400J, Suzuki GS750, Suzuki GS1000, Ducati SS900 Superlight, KTM LC4 Supermoto, Honda VFR 800i, KTM Superduke '07.

KTMDark
Minimoto racer

Postby KTMDark » Sat Jun 13, 2015 11:16 am

Yup! That's what I've got, Steve. Still using the original replacement and it still looks like the day I put it on!

Sarasota_Steve

Postby Sarasota_Steve » Tue Oct 04, 2016 2:16 pm

UPDATE:

After using the yellow Tygon tubing for a few thousand miles the inside of the tube got coated with oil and it turned non-transparent.

Unable to read the oil level anymore I replaced it with the bluish OEM tube.

The Tygon looks great as soon as you install it and for a while. It'll get you out of trouble in the short term, but it was not a permanent solution for my bike. Maybe it works for yours.

Peace,
Ride Hard,
------------------
Sarasota_Steve
18 1290 SDR
09 Aprilia Sportcity
04 SV650

SUPER DUKE #1
Two wheeled terror

Postby SUPER DUKE #1 » Wed Oct 05, 2016 2:33 am

Has anyone replaced one with an O.E.M KTM part within the last year or so? I know that KTM realised they had issues with the original sight tube (hose) and went with new material. I think the U.S. distributor purged the original stock and replaced them with the new (identical looking) one. I have one on my SD and have had no problems............and of course now that I've made that statement :wink: :? :lol: . I would even bet that with KTM knowing the past issue your dealer could probably get a "goodwill" replacement for you.......if your dealer won't step up for you give a call or email to KTM customer service......seems like a potential safety issue, hate to see hot oil sprayed on you or your tyres :roll:

SD#1

orpheus
Two wheeled terror

Postby orpheus » Wed Oct 05, 2016 9:19 am

I think KTM did improve / change the tube used, as my original hose split after about 3yrs and the replacement OEM is still going strong after 5yrs.

No. 47
Master of the twisties

Postby No. 47 » Wed Oct 05, 2016 9:58 am

Never had to replace mine but it was lockwired for race use back in '08 so may have been upgraded then.
'08 ex-Battle race KTM Superduke 990 R No.47
'08 OE KTM Superduke 990 R
'01 Ducati 996S

Black Out
Minimoto racer

Postby Black Out » Tue Aug 07, 2018 6:50 pm

I cannot find this tygon tubing in 4mm or 5/32" anywhere. Even my local dealer could not pull it up on their schematic. :x
Ducati Monster 800
Triumph Speed Triple 1050
KTM SuperDuke 990

gotswap
Two wheeled terror

Postby gotswap » Wed Aug 08, 2018 1:40 pm

You try home depot or lowes in the lawn and garden section?
2007 SD, Sold
2015 SDR, loving every minute!

Black Out
Minimoto racer

Postby Black Out » Wed Aug 08, 2018 2:08 pm

I went to several auto parts stores, Home Depot, Lowe's, a motorcycle shop including the dealer.There's a mower place I haven't tried yet.
Ducati Monster 800
KTM SuperDuke 990

gotswap
Two wheeled terror

Postby gotswap » Wed Aug 08, 2018 2:30 pm

There is always amazon, If needed. If I remember right, my hose was just a bit small and I stretched it on without issue.
2007 SD, Sold
2015 SDR, loving every minute!

No. 47
Master of the twisties

Postby No. 47 » Wed Aug 08, 2018 3:21 pm

OE part no. 61038084000 is now superceded with 61038084100 so, as others have suggested, probably now upgraded to overcome earlier failures.
'08 ex-Battle race KTM Superduke 990 R No.47
'08 OE KTM Superduke 990 R
'01 Ducati 996S

Black Out
Minimoto racer

Postby Black Out » Wed Aug 08, 2018 6:32 pm

Friend of mine told me about (Website blocked) where it was quickly located.

EDIT: I went to the website you suggested where I was promptly told my iphone had a virus and to call a toll free number. I did some research online to find it's a scam. DO NOT POST BOGUS WEBSITES ON THIS SITE OR YOU'LL BE BANNED!
Sarasota_Steve
Ducati Monster 800
KTM SuperDuke 990

Black Out
Minimoto racer

Postby Black Out » Mon Aug 13, 2018 3:31 pm

I can't understand. I've been on their site and ordered from them before. Not bogus so not sure what happened. My bad though.
Ducati Monster 800
KTM SuperDuke 990

Return to Technical - Dr F's Words of Wisdom