Beware of ordering backordered KTM hard parts

Questions or Comments on Dealers, Stores, Warranty, Insurance, recalls and common faults
thessler
Minimoto racer

Beware of ordering backordered KTM hard parts

Postby thessler » Fri Jul 06, 2007 11:20 pm

Beware of ordering KTM hard parts from your dealer here in the USA. The backorder dates on you dealer's computer are pure fiction and they know it. There are deceptive practices being used to entice you to order now, assuming there will only be a short wait. In reality, the wait will be months. Every month, they change the backorder dates to be another month away. My delivery dates for a carbon front fender, a touring winscreen and other accessories has slipped 3 times for a total of almost 3 months delay. The dealer will tell you that KTM opened a new parts distribution facility and botched the transfer of inventory. That may be true or not, but that does not give KTM the right to mislead dealers or customers on the supposed delivery dates. If they are 3 or 4 or 6 months behind on deliveries, they should be honest about it. I am very disappointed that KTM is not being honest. My local dealer cashed my check three months ago and I still have no parts.

If you do not believe this, log on the KTMTWINS web site every couple of weeks and watch the backorder dates change. By the way, KTMTWINS is a good place to order items. The are honest and deliver right on promised dates. I'm certain that KTM is making all their dealers look deceptive.
Call me Dukey Howitzer - 07 SuperDuke, 02 Ducati Monster S4 Foggy

baggieman
Wheelie king

Location: Frimley Green, Surrey. Namby pamby, shandy drinking area but thankfully it's a long way from Leeds.

Postby baggieman » Fri Jul 06, 2007 11:27 pm

I can certainly concur with that after my Akra back order fiasco earlier in the year :(
Boing, Boing

EdCz
Minimoto racer

Postby EdCz » Sat Jul 07, 2007 5:07 am

I too have backordered parts that I have been waiting months, but my local dealer did not require payment when I placed the order.
Ed
2007 Orange Super Duke

RhinosoRoss
Two wheeled terror

Postby RhinosoRoss » Tue Jul 10, 2007 5:19 pm

UK too: my Touring Screen was promised 2000 miles ago...
Do something every day that scares you!

tetol
Minimoto racer

Postby tetol » Tue Jul 10, 2007 8:16 pm

i ordered some carbon 3 weeks ago, today i'm told it won't be here till october :x

RhinosoRoss
Two wheeled terror

Postby RhinosoRoss » Thu Jul 12, 2007 3:35 pm

OK, so there's good and bad news:

The good news is that the Touring Screen arrived yesterday!

The bad news is that although it was an Accessory I paid for when I bought the new Bike, today I got an invoice for twice as much money as I thought it cost, already deducted from my Credit Card!

I've just phoned them and they're refunding the Credit Card :roll:

Dr F

Postby Dr F » Thu Jul 12, 2007 4:14 pm

Serves you right for buying a touring screen! Bad things should happen to anyone who fits this to their sd, i'm sticking pins in my voodoo doll of BigTobyD right now :x
'05 SD
'82 CB 750/872F
'84 YPVS/RGV Hybrid
'88 Spondon TZ 350/YPVS Hybrid
Tinkerin'...I luv it me!

RhinosoRoss
Two wheeled terror

Postby RhinosoRoss » Thu Jul 12, 2007 4:57 pm

I'm not actually going to fit mine... at least, not yet.
Now that I have a 2007 SD I know that the stock 'screen' is fine most of the time (and my camera on the home-made stand won't see over the touring screen :roll: )

990Glen
Two wheeled terror

Postby 990Glen » Thu Jul 12, 2007 5:13 pm

Tidy little ram mount adaption. What bits did you use. It would be good for on my exc for the offroad gps. The ring for round the big dia bars seems to be the hard part to find.
Firmly entrenched in the orange camp.

RhinosoRoss
Two wheeled terror

Postby RhinosoRoss » Thu Jul 12, 2007 5:31 pm

Original Camera Mount post is here. In short, the Bar clip is from a push-bike lamp from somewhere like Lidl or Poundland etc. It just happened to have rubbery spacers that dealt with the SD bar having two diameters.

dylan5711
Minimoto racer

Postby dylan5711 » Sat Aug 11, 2007 6:00 pm

Same here in Austin Texas USA. I bought the Duke in late May and ordered about $2000 in carbon and hard parts from KTM. None of the carbon has arrived and a couple of the hard parts. I did order some carbon bits from Pro Carbon. They arrived fast and fit fine.

My local KTM Dealer, TJ's was up front and honest with me about the difficulty in getting KTM Duke parts when I ordered and has been really good in updating me, but the dates from KTM do keep slipping.

I did find after market exhausts, but I am still looking for an after market filter, any comments?

Bodge
Stunt rider

Postby Bodge » Sat Aug 11, 2007 9:24 pm

The game is the game...

leppardb

Postby leppardb » Mon Aug 13, 2007 4:50 pm

Does anyone know if KTM has an official excuse for the backorder situation? They seem to be very quite. I think people would be a lot less angry if they would just tell us what is going on and what they are doing to fix it.

I have had a tank bag and alarm on order since the beginning of June. No theft insurance coverage until the alarm is on there.

Thank god I haven't broken anything on the backorder list. I would just be enjoying my new scooter a lot more if this stuff was resolved.

I have received other KTM hard parts that are not SD specific pretty quickly.

the-bunker
Stunt rider

Postby the-bunker » Tue Aug 14, 2007 10:44 pm

Annoying isn't it ? - I don't see how KTM & other European Bike manufacturers can really beat the Japs until they get parts sorted.

Take Yamaha for example - order practically any part on a Monday & it's in by Thursday same week.

Don't get me wrong - I'm right off Jap bikes, but ownership is part of the deal - not just the selling.
Meow

jehadjoe
Thunder pumpkin rider

Postby jehadjoe » Fri Sep 07, 2007 6:05 pm

dylan5711,
please count joe in on the dna air filters. lots of folks in the USA are waiting and watching....for these to come, Ive posted ph#'s on the tech sec.
as far as this KTM ordering situation maybe ya'll could call the manger "Todd Jones @ 440-985-3553 and ask him whazzup?
maybe 9nine0 would know something?
but I still love my thunder pupkin and just ordered her a SDR arse.

I have exp. the same stuff from the dealers and no one seems to want to talk.

limeyduffa
Two wheeled terror

Postby limeyduffa » Mon Oct 15, 2007 10:04 am

All,

It looks like people are getting a really hard deal. The general customer
satisfaction on this site was very good up to this year. I wonder what is
going on ?

My clutch bits have arrived at my dealer. Waiting time was 2 weeks,
Excellent in my opinion. I just have to get time off work to go to dealer
and get it done.

RhionsoRoss: What camera are you using ? (Casio ?). I have made up
a rear view camera that bolts onto my rear footpeg (with dampening) and
the vibration has still managed to kill a Canon powershot and a Kodak
Easyshare,

Cheers ;)

Ja
Top hair pin - Cork Screw Rd, Adelaide Hills

jehadjoe
Thunder pumpkin rider

Postby jehadjoe » Mon Oct 15, 2007 2:29 pm

this is fookin ridiculous, and a total crock of shit,.... what the KTM dealers are doing to us, and a horrible use and loss of customer trust ! why the fuc.k dont someone do some bitchin to these people about the situation, I know it should be me? but I have called todd jones over and over and they (KTM AND THOSE WHICH REPRESENT THEM) dont seem to take the situation at hand, SERIOUSLY......refering to the parts and accessories, or the lack of it. and the deceptive business practices that the KTM people are allowing to occur ?????? :shock: I cant even go down to my local LC8 authorized dealership for the latest map to be loaded in my fu.ckin $14,000 usd within warranty motorfunkincycle. cos they dont want to spend the $350.00 for the shit to do it and I already told jones and he dont give a flyinfuc.k??????? I am one (1) pissed off son of a bitch over this kinda shit !!!! :evil:

leppardb

Postby leppardb » Tue Oct 16, 2007 12:10 am

I ordered a factory alarm and a KTM tank bag at the beginning of June. I got'em at the end of september, nearly 4 months, and near the end of our riding season here. Thank god I they weren't critical parts that would keep me from riding.

The frustrating part was zero information on eta. It could have been two weeks or two years every time I checked. Nobody knew anything.

A hint to KTM customer service: Tell people (truthfully) what is going on and they are more likely to cut you some slack.

limeyduffa
Two wheeled terror

Postby limeyduffa » Tue Oct 16, 2007 10:57 am

Jehadjoe,

jehadjoe wrote:..cos they dont want to spend the $350.00 for the shit to do it

Are you referring to the diagnostic kit that is required by all dealers to perform
diagnostics and calibration ?

Cheers

jehadjoe
Thunder pumpkin rider

Postby jehadjoe » Tue Oct 16, 2007 2:31 pm

limeyduffa,

ya damn right, that is exactly what I am speaking of Sir.

limeyduffa
Two wheeled terror

Postby limeyduffa » Sun Oct 21, 2007 12:38 pm

Hi Jehadjoe,

That's shocking. It's like the dealer is telling you that they don't have
any spanners. I would be writing a letter to the dealer complaining
about their after sales service.

Good luck anyway mate ;)

jehadjoe wrote:limeyduffa,

ya damn right, that is exactly what I am speaking of Sir.

jehadjoe
Thunder pumpkin rider

Postby jehadjoe » Sun Oct 21, 2007 1:56 pm

limeyduffa ,

Nope , that is just not my style to complain about it .
NOW, I may complain to you good people here, but I am just venting.

As far as me calling Todd Jones (the public relations manager, NA) and bitching about how I have been abused by the KTM people, like I said that is not in me.

If I had some real warranty related saftey issue? I would by-pass ktm and go directly to the US safety administration and fill out a form, with no emotion.

and to be directly "on topic" ....I would go buy the spanner myself.

Wayne W. Dyer says that "Dont exsplain....Dont complain", and I try to keep thse thoughts close to my heart, I will let someone else do the dirty work, they are not paying me enough to do it for them ? :lol:

limeyduffa
Two wheeled terror

Postby limeyduffa » Sun Oct 21, 2007 11:01 pm

jehadjoe,

If phone calls are not working, then a formal letter (a neutrally written account)
is the most effective way to deal with bad service like this. If the reader is
a half decent manager, they will back flip. If they don't, then blog your account
on the web page warning other buyers not to get KTM's.

It worked for me with an insurance company 8 years ago. In my case, the
insurance company did not want to cover all damage due to an attempted theft
of my bike. Phone calls and letters to the insurance company was not working.
So I created a web page documenting my experience. A week later, it got sorted ;)

jehadjoe
Thunder pumpkin rider

Postby jehadjoe » Mon Oct 22, 2007 12:41 am

limeyduffa ,

Please man let me say,,,this is not our intended purpose,,, to bitch about bad service in my own case, so look here, this how I will handle this, They Will listen when it falls on the right ear, but in the meantime, I will not give my buisness to them,....It is not conveineint for me but THEY will be the loosers after all is said and done. I am Going racing. :wink:

trackadict

Postby trackadict » Wed Oct 24, 2007 12:12 am

Joe, I don't know if this is good advice for a vet like yourself, but just burn the motherfucker down, and then order from overseas. :twisted:

Next

Return to Stores, Dealers, Warranty, Insurance and Safety Issues