HELP! MTC Failure light and engine light on.

For all 1290 related problems . solutions . product reviews . tips
pdx unicycle
Minimoto racer

HELP! MTC Failure light and engine light on.

Postby pdx unicycle » Fri Jun 17, 2016 9:44 am

Just did some work to the bike. Installed new tyres front/rear. Installed pcv and deleted charcoal canister and sas valves. Installed dongles for canister and sas and installed a Motoholigan air box and Remus cat delete pipe. Went to start the bike and get a flashing "MTC Failure" light and flashing engine light. Nothing hapens (won't crank) when I hit the start button. Removed the pcv wires to the crank sensor and injectors and no change. Any ideas on what is going on?

pdx unicycle
Minimoto racer

Re: HELP! MTC Failure light and engine light on.

Postby pdx unicycle » Fri Jun 17, 2016 9:47 am

Forgot to ad. Bike has a abs dongle that was already installed and working w/o issue. I did disconnect the dongle and remounted it in the tail section once the canister was removed and plugged it back in.

mrossk
Two wheeled terror

Postby mrossk » Fri Jun 17, 2016 2:18 pm

Can't offer specific advice, except to say it seems likely that it must be one, or more, of the connectors that aren't fully re-connected (fuel, electrical, one of the dongles, etc.). Be methodical, disconnect and reconnect each one. One the tank is off, they're all more or less accessible, no? Good luck and report back!

awdrules
Minimoto racer

Postby awdrules » Sun Jul 17, 2016 3:01 am

My bike displays said MTC failure and engine light on today then the display went blank. Checked all the fuses and had just put pads on the front brakes. All ok, thought about it and put a battery charger on it, battery was dead started up light off.

Kotari
Minimoto racer

Postby Kotari » Sat Feb 25, 2017 9:44 pm

Old topic but i like to share my experience about this fault. I had similar situation last summer. Fault went off when i manually opened and closed throttleflies. Throttle body is connected to MTC, so if throttlefly sensor somehow loses its values it gives fault code from MTC and will not start. Fault came active only once, i hope this technic will work if it reappears.
Now: KTM 250 EXC TPI Six Days 2019
Now: KTM 1290 Super Duke R 2017
Had: : KTM 1290 Super Duke R 2015 The beast.. Totalled..
Had: Suzuki GSX-R 1000 K8
Had: Kawasaki ER-6n 2007

AGRO!
Master of the twisties

Postby AGRO! » Sat Feb 25, 2017 10:11 pm

Maybe every so often you need to do this..like on the 690.

1. Throttle calibration

The simplest one. This re-calibrates the start & stop position of the throttle grip. Turn the ignition on but don't start. Wait for the tacho needle to return to zero. Then turn the throttle grip gradually from close to open and back from open to closed. Don't let it snap shut. Turn the ignition off, done.

Kotari
Minimoto racer

Postby Kotari » Sun Feb 26, 2017 8:41 am

AGRO! wrote:Maybe every so often you need to do this..like on the 690.

1. Throttle calibration

The simplest one. This re-calibrates the start & stop position of the throttle grip. Turn the ignition on but don't start. Wait for the tacho needle to return to zero. Then turn the throttle grip gradually from close to open and back from open to closed. Don't let it snap shut. Turn the ignition off, done.

Thanks man, will try this one also!
Now: KTM 250 EXC TPI Six Days 2019
Now: KTM 1290 Super Duke R 2017
Had: : KTM 1290 Super Duke R 2015 The beast.. Totalled..
Had: Suzuki GSX-R 1000 K8
Had: Kawasaki ER-6n 2007

Dukey

Postby Dukey » Thu May 14, 2020 3:52 am

I just installed a new exhaust system with a mid pipe to delete the cat and went as far as to disconnect the linkage of the exhaust servo from the valve itself, but left the servo installed...thinking it would be able to cycle and move as it pleases and wouldn't throw any codes. Guess I was wrong lol. Got the MTC failure warning. I'll chalk this up as a "test fit" of the new exhaust and put the stock back til I can get my hands on one of Healtech's exhaust servo eliminates. Seems, however, the MTC failure warning is a blanket warning in that it will present itself when a wide range of issues arise. I've heard battery low or dead, throttle bodies out of tune, exhaust servo disconnected or linkage or valve binding or servo bad, saw one where it ended up being something in the switches on the right handlebar, or as far as a faulty ECU. Either way, I don't care, I love this bike hahaha.

Return to Technical [SDR 1290]