low oil pressure, light on, cam chain rattle, 990 SD

problems . solutions . product reviews . tips
Brenton
Minimoto racer

low oil pressure, light on, cam chain rattle, 990 SD

Postby Brenton » Mon Jul 18, 2016 2:33 pm

Hi,
This is my first proper post. I hope it's in the right area.
I've just discovered a cause for low oil pressure symptoms that didn't pop up in any of the literature I could find.
The bike first developed an intermittent cam chain rattle. Then on a startup, after sitting for a few weeks, it rattled badly with the oil light flickering, going out at 2000 + RPM. It was bad enough for a quick shutoff.
The bike has done 32000k.
I did the usual things;
Replaced filter (was K&N) with KTM genuine and 10w50 Motorex, which cost lots but made no difference.
No waffling of filter. No sludge in oil, so assume it's not the water pump issue.
Run briefly with no filter. Light did go out. Chains less rattly. Hmm.
Replaced tensioners - there is 8mm gap from cap, which is inside wear limits, so tensioner guides OK.
Tested check valve on base of oil tank.
Ordered the bypass valve parts - control spring / piston/ clip / washer as a dud spring seems the next step.
the most recent thing was to check that I had the screen under the clutch the right way up.
When I took the screen out, a spring protruded / dropped down into the housing. This was the bypass pressure control spring - and the problem.
Further investigating found the circlip in the gallery under the screen.
The spring (and so the piston) were somewhat held in place by a casting on the plastic screen. I didn't measure oil pressure, so don't know how 'somewhat..
I can only hope there's not major damage.
Has anyone heard of this before? I can't see anything that would cause this circlip to come out? The groove looks fine.
The new parts are due in a couple of days. I'll fit these and post a reply.
'06 Super Duke, Mk IV Lemans, R67/2, Ariel VH, NH, KH, Mk1 and Mk2 square, and projects.

No. 47
Master of the twisties

Re: low oil pressure, light on, cam chain rattle, 990 SD

Postby No. 47 » Mon Jul 18, 2016 4:22 pm

New one for me - did you find the washer between the circlip and spring also?
'08 ex-Battle race KTM Superduke 990 R No.47
'08 OE KTM Superduke 990 R
'01 Ducati 996S

Brenton
Minimoto racer

Postby Brenton » Tue Jul 19, 2016 5:57 am

Yep, it was attached to the drain plug magnet.
'06 Super Duke, Mk IV Lemans, R67/2, Ariel VH, NH, KH, Mk1 and Mk2 square, and projects.

Brenton
Minimoto racer

Postby Brenton » Wed Jul 20, 2016 10:18 am

Fixed and running quietly. What a relief.
I took the pressure pump case out and could see no issue with the clip groove. I had it measured as OK.
The best I can say is that the old circlip lost it's tensile / spring strength. Maybe it work hardened? or was a dud from the factory?
I have a photo of the old and new clips, showing how much the old clip has collapsed, but can't see how to post it.
I'm glad there was no damage to my bike and that this seems to be a one off.

DukeNukem999
Two wheeled terror

Postby DukeNukem999 » Thu Jul 21, 2016 5:28 am

Brenton wrote:Fixed and running quietly. What a relief.
I took the pressure pump case out and could see no issue with the clip groove. I had it measured as OK.
The best I can say is that the old circlip lost it's tensile / spring strength. Maybe it work hardened? or was a dud from the factory?
I have a photo of the old and new clips, showing how much the old clip has collapsed, but can't see how to post it.
I'm glad there was no damage to my bike and that this seems to be a one off.

Great result.. considering what could of happened.
2010 (white-frame) SD, Rotty intake / SAS removal, Ceramic coated headers / Akra slipons, Ergo seat, SDR levers, Shorai LiFePO4, OEM 16T / KTM Supersprox 40T, RK GB525GXW chain, Michelin Pilot Road 4 / Pilot Power 3, factory alarm.

redlimit835
Minimoto racer

Postby redlimit835 » Mon Nov 26, 2018 1:47 am

My bike just had the same symptoms So I will check this and let you know If I had the same issue! Thanks for the post!

Return to Technical - Dr F's Words of Wisdom