SD 990 thermal shield on silencer

general forum > questions . answers . discussions
bartholio
Minimoto racer

SD 990 thermal shield on silencer

Postby bartholio » Thu Apr 05, 2018 9:11 am

Hey guys,
I just bought an original exhaust in order to change the one I have now on (DOMINATOR) and here is the Problem:

I did not notice that the exhaust i bought was without those heat shields on both sides:

And it is almost impossible to find them (used) for an ordinary price, so i thought maybe someone can make such shields for me, therefore here is the question:

Would someone owning such bike (SD 990 2006-12) please be so kind and measure them for me? all I found in the web are pictures, but no measurements...

Mr_Trecolareco
Wheelie king

Re: SD 990 thermal shield on silencer

Postby Mr_Trecolareco » Thu Apr 05, 2018 12:03 pm

I have them in my storage, I'll try to look for them on the weekend.

But when I bought the rear fender ( previous owner had it cut ) the heat shield came with it. they may be available from ktm.

But to be fair...can't you see the glue of the previous heat shield? I'd make a 1"/1,5" of margin around and stick it.
Um abraco e mto boas curvas!! :)

Motogoon
Two wheeled terror

Postby Motogoon » Thu Apr 05, 2018 6:47 pm

I have a nice pair for sale for $60 New Zealand + shipping (shipping will probably be about $20nzd to most places around the world) PM me if you're keen

bartholio
Minimoto racer

Postby bartholio » Tue Apr 10, 2018 8:32 am

Thanks for your answers Guys!

Good idea, I did not pull it out of the box since I bought it (the original silencer) so gotta check if there are some signs of the old ones!

And in case I won't be able to make/get them somwhere closer than 18k km from home I'll get back to you Motogoon, maybe your stuff will still be available (btw. which ones you've got? matt or shiny? from which year?)

RichUK
Two wheeled terror

Postby RichUK » Tue Apr 10, 2018 11:41 am

where are you in the world bartholio?

Motogoon
Two wheeled terror

Postby Motogoon » Wed Apr 11, 2018 1:38 am

bartholio wrote:Thanks for your answers Guys!

Good idea, I did not pull it out of the box since I bought it (the original silencer) so gotta check if there are some signs of the old ones!

And in case I won't be able to make/get them somwhere closer than 18k km from home I'll get back to you Motogoon, maybe your stuff will still be available (btw. which ones you've got? matt or shiny? from which year?)

Shiny chrome ones, from an 05 model but fit all years as far as I know. Takes 5-10 days to most places but Spain took nearly 3 weeks!

Mr_Trecolareco
Wheelie king

Postby Mr_Trecolareco » Wed Apr 11, 2018 10:32 am

Well see if this helps: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/KTM-990-Exha ... xy1klRb8v-

At least you get the shape needed.

bic_bicknell

Postby bic_bicknell » Wed Apr 11, 2018 1:46 pm

The original heavy 990 silencers and heat shields have all been so universally junked by most owners I'd have thought there were just hundreds of them all lying around in garages and attics. They have virtually no value IMO.

I'd just keep asking around until someone sends you a set for free - you'd be welcome to my old ones but I have them away years ago.
Past: Honda CB125J, Honda TL125, 1963 Triumph Tiger 90, Yamaha RD250, Kawasaki KH250, Kawasaki 400 S3, Kawasaki KH400, Kawasaki Z400J, Suzuki GS750, Suzuki GS1000, Ducati SS900 Superlight, KTM LC4 Supermoto, Honda VFR 800i, KTM Superduke '07.

Scotty
Two wheeled terror

Postby Scotty » Wed Apr 11, 2018 4:17 pm

Why not drop Shadowman on here a PM, I know that he had a spare set of standard silencers that he no longer required, hopefully he's resisted the urge to weigh them in at a local scrappie and could help you out with a heat shield...
Wheelies - they ARE big, and they ARE clever....

RichUK
Two wheeled terror

Postby RichUK » Wed Apr 11, 2018 6:08 pm

I still have mine, complete with both shields and the Cat.
I generally believe that the standard exhaust should stay with a bike throughout its life, even if it isn't ever used again.

I guess the exception is where a manufacturer offers a different system as an "official" upgrade/accessory, as with the Akro pipes.... but still I think it's nice to offer the original pipe with the bike when selling.

Mr_Trecolareco
Wheelie king

Postby Mr_Trecolareco » Thu Apr 12, 2018 9:23 am

I have just remembered that I may have a set of spare shields ( came free wit other stuff I bought ) in Portugal...if there's interest let me know.

I also keep all my OEM stuff, we never know when it's going to be helpfull.

MOT don't like free exhausts withou catalytic converters :oops:

RichUK
Two wheeled terror

Postby RichUK » Thu Apr 12, 2018 9:45 am

Mr_Trecolareco wrote:MOT don't like free exhausts without catalytic converters :oops:

Yes, up until now all new test legislation has not been applied retrospectively but that does mean that one day it won't be.

bartholio
Minimoto racer

Postby bartholio » Fri Apr 13, 2018 12:49 pm

RichUK wrote:where are you in the world bartholio?

I am from Poland Rich

As far as it goes for the OEM parts... The guy who sold me the bike did not care much about it, all he wanted was to gain as much additional HP and Nm as possible... so he took out the lambda/oxygen sensors, changed the airfilter to K&N while throwing away the airbox... :/ futhermore with no airbox he took out the secondary air supply, mounted that new exhaust (DOMINATOR which is killing my ears) and the power commander. All that together just to get some 5HP more... :(
Now that is why i want to get it back to its original state - I bought the original exhaust but I missed the heat shields...

btw. don't know what is wrong here, but I am not getting any info about your replies :/

bartholio
Minimoto racer

Postby bartholio » Fri May 11, 2018 10:05 am

Hey there!

Didn't want to start another topic, so I'll update here. I've finally mounted the original exhaust, and to tell you the truth it sounds really nice. In comparison to the custom one I had that one doesn't scare all the people around me (and won't damage my hearing...)

Well... unfortunatelly the beast doesn't like me and threw me already two times... :D and now I had to change left footrest plus some other minor scratches, not to mention few ribs and shoulder injuries :D

And finally heeeere's the question, or more of them:

1. I fell to the left side, the footrest with the set bent a bit towards the frame, and now the gears won't switch smoothly:
a) temporary solution before straightening - will it be enough just to loosen the screw on the tie that connects the gearpedal with gearbox? or is it more complicated?
b) straightening - the whole set did not bent - the two "shackles" on the frame to which the left set is screwed bent - and what do you think is it posssible just the try to bent them back, or can it brake so leave it as it is? it did not bent more than few mm

BTW I apologize for my poor english :)

Motogoon
Two wheeled terror

Postby Motogoon » Fri May 11, 2018 8:06 pm

Bad news, at least damage to yourself or bike doesn't seem too bad!

You can take off your footrest hanger and bend those frame tabs back, use something long it takes some force

bartholio
Minimoto racer

Postby bartholio » Thu May 17, 2018 6:54 am

It's been four weeks now and i feel almost back in shape, though i still can not slip on those ribs :D
well... s... happens, and thanks to that now i have some new experience ;)

It sounds good that i can bend it, i thought maybe the frame is made of aluminium so it can crack, but it is steel so i guess you are right Motogoon, will try to do it that way

Return to Hooliganism