Clutch Feeling After Fluid Replacement

For all 1290 related problems . solutions . product reviews . tips
MacaveliMC
Two wheeled terror

Clutch Feeling After Fluid Replacement

Postby MacaveliMC » Tue Apr 24, 2018 2:21 pm

So I decided to replace the clutch fluid, since the recommendation is every two years, and I was able to successfully push the fluid up through the system from the slave cylinder, using a medical syringe. However, I'm wondering if the feeling I'm getting now is normal.

To get the clutch to really work well now, it has to be pulled to the bar. I can't remember if this is how it was before, but I remember it being difficult to get the bike into neutral if the clutch wasn't pulled to the bar before. But I thought I remembered being able to two-finger it before for shifts and now that seems a bit more difficult. I definitely can't two-finger it to stop at a light. I can feel the motor getting a little bogged by the clutch unless I pull it to the bar.

I also don't want to adjust the clutch out any further. I'm not sure where it is right now, but it's definitely as far as I'd want to grab.

My next thought is to try bleeding the master cylinder, and if that doesn't help, try bleeding the slave cylinder the old fashion way.

Any thoughts?

No. 47
Master of the twisties

Re: Clutch Feeling After Fluid Replacement

Postby No. 47 » Tue Apr 24, 2018 2:24 pm

Bleed the master if you haven't done so already - bottom up feed is best but air bubbles can still be trapped in master.
'08 ex-Battle race KTM Superduke 990 R No.47
'08 OE KTM Superduke 990 R
'01 Ducati 996S

MacaveliMC
Two wheeled terror

Postby MacaveliMC » Tue Apr 24, 2018 4:10 pm

No. 47 wrote:Bleed the master if you haven't done so already - bottom up feed is best but air bubbles can still be trapped in master.

Thanks for the tip. That's my next plan, I'll let you know how it works. I wouldn't be surprised since it feels like it takes most of the clutch lever stroke before it feels like it engages.

mrossk
Two wheeled terror

Postby mrossk » Tue Apr 24, 2018 11:56 pm

Just be very very careful when you bleed the master- the screw is small, weak, and strips easily, just past finger tight.... Don't ask me how I know

MacaveliMC
Two wheeled terror

Postby MacaveliMC » Wed Apr 25, 2018 12:31 pm

Well you guys were right - definitely air in the master! I cracked the screw open and pulled the lever half way in before fluid started coming out. It definitely feels a lot better/stiffer now. Haven't gotten to ride it yet but looking forward to it.

And I know what you mean about the screw. When I closed it the first time, I realised I turned it a little past where it was when I opened it, and my mind flashed to all the thread posts I read about stripping it. So I made sure I was only turning it back to where it was :shock:

Thanks for the help! I also tried bleeding the slave just in case, and fluid came out immediately so, that was all good it seems.

wills
Minimoto racer

Postby wills » Wed May 02, 2018 5:03 pm

Clutch should engage fully in the 1st inch of lever travel.
Touring the West Coast

Return to Technical [SDR 1290]