Marked intake tappet buckets - rear cylinder

problems . solutions . product reviews . tips
limeyduffa
Two wheeled terror

Marked intake tappet buckets - rear cylinder

Postby limeyduffa » Thu Jun 14, 2018 12:44 pm

Hi All

I'm replacing the base gaskets on my 2012 990 SMT. I noticed that the intake tappet buckets on the rear cylinder are marked at the cam contact points and feel rough when I move my finger over them (see top buckets in picture below). All other buckets (including front cyl) are smooth. See top buckets in pic below:

Any ideas ?. Worth running some fine wet n dry over the marks ?.. or no point ?. Everything looks well lubricated.

Note: I use 10W50 4T Cross Power Motorex fully synth. I service bike every 6 months or 3500km (or whatever comes first). I warm the bike up to 5 bars idle every time I go to ride it. I'm the 1st owner. Bike has only done 37000km.
Last edited by limeyduffa on Thu Jun 14, 2018 10:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2012 990 SMT

Aphex
Site Admin

Re: Marked intake tappet buckets - rear cylinder

Postby Aphex » Thu Jun 14, 2018 2:35 pm

Picture isn't working.
08 SD, Mivv Suono, Rottweiler airbox. Current map: One some guy sent me from the internet.

Me so Hoony.

limeyduffa
Two wheeled terror

Postby limeyduffa » Thu Jun 14, 2018 10:45 pm

Aphex wrote:Picture isn't working.

Hopefully that should work.
2012 990 SMT

Motogoon
Two wheeled terror

Postby Motogoon » Fri Jun 15, 2018 4:15 am

Those look terrible, I wouldn't be re using them and I'd be trying to find out what's caused it. How's the cam surface?

limeyduffa
Two wheeled terror

Postby limeyduffa » Fri Jun 15, 2018 5:51 am

Motogoon wrote:Those look terrible, I wouldn't be re using them and I'd be trying to find out what's caused it. How's the cam surface?

Yep, what I thought too. The intake Cams (the cams that contact these worn buckets) look good (to my untrained eye). I'll do what you said, and find out what caused this damage.

J
2012 990 SMT

RichUK
Two wheeled terror

Postby RichUK » Fri Jun 15, 2018 8:07 am

Are the valve buckets plated on the LC8?

To my untrained eye I'd say it looks like pitting from a coating is coming off.
I'd pull those buckets and try to look at the them under a strong magnifying glass, just to see if those marks were caused by the surface flaking away or by a foreign body being pressed in.

limeyduffa
Two wheeled terror

Postby limeyduffa » Sat Jun 16, 2018 11:11 am

An enlarged pic of my damaged bucket. Yes, Rich, looks like the coating is flaking off. Another SMT owner has reported the same fault at 40,000 miles.
2012 990 SMT

limeyduffa
Two wheeled terror

Postby limeyduffa » Sun Jun 17, 2018 10:04 am

BTW Motogoon, the dreaded circlip ordeal wasn't that bad. You (and a few other posters) made me panick a bit with your base gasket posts. So, I ordered an insertion tool from eBay which didn't work :cry:. So I resorted to the old fashion method using nose plyers. The first one (front cyl) took me about 45min to work out how to do it. The rear cylinder (with the starter motor bracket in the way) took less than a minute. So, it's in the knack :)
2012 990 SMT

Motogoon
Two wheeled terror

Postby Motogoon » Mon Jun 18, 2018 9:12 am

limeyduffa wrote:BTW Motogoon, the dreaded circlip ordeal wasn't that bad. You (and a few other posters) made me panick a bit with your base gasket posts. So, I ordered an insertion tool from eBay which didn't work :cry:. So I resorted to the old fashion method using nose plyers. The first one (front cyl) took me about 45min to work out how to do it. The rear cylinder (with the starter motor bracket in the way) took less than a minute. So, it's in the knack :)

Haha good to hear, yeah there's definitely a technique, second one went in piece of piss once I'd worked it out as well, I think the worst part is just the access.

Motogoon
Two wheeled terror

Postby Motogoon » Mon Jun 18, 2018 9:15 am

limeyduffa wrote:An enlarged pic of my damaged bucket. Yes, Rich, looks like the coating is flaking off. Another SMT owner has reported the same fault at 40,000 miles.

That's kind of good really I guess that it's just a dodgy finish rather than an oil starvation problem!

Couple of New buckets and a re-shim then should be good to go?

limeyduffa
Two wheeled terror

Postby limeyduffa » Wed Jun 20, 2018 12:19 pm

Motogoon wrote:That's kind of good really I guess that it's just a dodgy finish rather than an oil starvation problem!

Couple of New buckets and a re-shim then should be good to go?

Yep, agree. Now the hard bit: Getting them !. Not sure if you know, but a series of GST laws are kicking in here next week. I have no idea what this going to do to the logistics supply system. KTM Australia (via the Australian KTM dealers) couldn't organise a fist f*k in a brothel with a fist-full of fifties, and gave up with them years ago. I have been using Fowlers in England, who are ready good, but they are so backlogged at the moment (they are probably getting smashed with AU panick orders).
2012 990 SMT

Motogoon
Two wheeled terror

Postby Motogoon » Wed Jun 20, 2018 7:44 pm

Sent ya a pm

limeyduffa
Two wheeled terror

Postby limeyduffa » Mon Jul 16, 2018 12:05 pm

Hi All. Bike repaired and back together. Shakedown ride tonight. All is well. Some new rubber in a few days and I'll hit the hills :)

I've got a pictorial post of my repairs below (the good thing about the ktmsmt site is the photos are stored on the forum, hence preserved):

http://www.ktmsmt.com/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=11853

I'm also producing a video of my repair since there doesn't appear to be any tube/vimeo videos of pulling down an LC8. This will take some time, because it's a lot of snipping video and merging with photos from phone. I'm about 20% complete. Watch this space.

J
2012 990 SMT

Aphex
Site Admin

Postby Aphex » Mon Jul 16, 2018 2:05 pm

limeyduffa wrote:Hi All. Bike repaired and back together. Shakedown ride tonight. All is well. Some new rubber in a few days and I'll hit the hills :)

I've got a pictorial post of my repairs below (the good thing about the ktmsmt site is the photos are stored on the forum, hence preserved):

http://www.ktmsmt.com/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=11853

I'm also producing a video of my repair since there doesn't appear to be any tube/vimeo videos of pulling down an LC8. This will take some time, because it's a lot of snipping video and merging with photos from phone. I'm about 20% complete. Watch this space.

J

What a great post, I really appreciate you taking the time to document everything so thoroughly. My front base gasket is leaking a bit at 40,000 miles so it'll be time to tear into it soon and might as well hone the cylinders if they need it while I'm in there.

Looking forward to your video.

I really wish we could re-enable image hosting on this forum however our hand are tied : /
08 SD, Mivv Suono, Rottweiler airbox. Current map: One some guy sent me from the internet.

Me so Hoony.

Return to Technical - Dr F's Words of Wisdom