Fork preload

For all 1290 related problems . solutions . product reviews . tips
arg
Minimoto racer

Fork preload

Postby arg » Sun Jun 24, 2018 7:05 am

Hi,

The sag on the front of my bike is 25mm where it should be 30mm to 35mm which is causing stability issues. I'm going to remove some of the preload spacers/washers fitted internally to increase the sag.

Anybody done this before? The reason I ask is what thickness of preload removed would give 5mm of sag, i.e. how many washers to take out? Otherwise I'm going to have to remove and try, possibly needing a couple of attempts.

Scotty
Two wheeled terror

Re: Fork preload

Postby Scotty » Sun Jun 24, 2018 7:39 am

Which bike is it? Are the preload adjusters fully wound out already? If you’ve run out of adjustment and still can’t get enough sag then maybe changing the springs for a lower rate is the way to go rather than removing internal fork components. Have you checked and eliminated other factors that could be causing instability; tyre pressures and wear, steering damper, rear suspension settings, riding position, weight distribution, how tight you grip the bars?

Before dismantling the forks (WP put components in there for a reason, they weren’t just lying around and got shoved in there to find them a home) it’s worth contacting a good dealer to discuss your issues. I think that Jim Aim is based in the East of England, why not try him or look for another reputable name.

Good luck sorting it and let us know how you get on.
Wheelies - they ARE big, and they ARE clever....

arg
Minimoto racer

Re: Fork preload

Postby arg » Sun Jun 24, 2018 9:21 am

1290 Superduke R 2017

Thanks for the advice but going back to the original question, has anyone removed the preload spacers/washers and how much sag did they gain against how much preload removed?

Return to Technical [SDR 1290]