SD 1290R clutch won't disengage fully

problems . solutions . product reviews . tips
Austeniitti
Minimoto racer

SD 1290R clutch won't disengage fully

Postby Austeniitti » Sat Jul 07, 2018 5:41 am

Hello everyone!

I've had a clutch problem since I've started riding this spring a few months back. It seems that the clutch won't disengage fully even when the lever is pulled all the way in to the bar. I realise that there's slight crawl when the clutch is pulled but my bike has been acting like it's almost impossible to change from 1 to N when the motor is running. The gear shift lever feels stiff and I have to force the gear into neutral. Also the other gears feel stiffer than before.

What should I do to troubleshoot? If i have to replace the clutch discs and/or cage, it'll cost a lot of money...
'14 1290 SDR

lc4
Stunt rider

Re: SD 1290R clutch won't disengage fully

Postby lc4 » Sat Jul 07, 2018 6:18 am

Bleed the master cylinder, mine forever is pulling in air from somewhere and will do the same as you describe.
I have zero fluid leaks but need to bleed the master every month?

Adrock990r
Two wheeled terror

Postby Adrock990r » Sat Jul 07, 2018 8:43 am

lc4 wrote:Bleed the master cylinder, mine forever is pulling in air from somewhere and will do the same as you describe.
I have zero fluid leaks but need to bleed the master every month?

+1 on that. Even after fitting a replacement master cylinder, Oberon slave cylinder and the oem braided lines changed out to HEL braided lines with new crush washers, etc, it still sucks in some air over time from somewhere. The only positive to it is how great the clutch feels again after a quick bleed from the master cylinder.

Austeniitti
Minimoto racer

Postby Austeniitti » Thu Jul 12, 2018 10:20 am

Thanks for the tips guys!

I replaced the front and rear sprockets (and chain, ofc) this spring. I disengaged the slave cylinder to get my hands into the front sprocket. I don't really know if that was necessary or not. Could it be, that disengaging and then reassembling the slave cylinder might have something to do with this or does this kind of clutch issue just happen no matter what?

Also, could I have done something wrong when putting the slave cylinder back? Just to prevent future screw-ups.

Also, 1290R Superduke year model 2014. Which clutch fluid is used in it? Is it brake fluid or hydraulic fluid?

Thanks in advance!
'14 1290 SDR

mrossk
Two wheeled terror

Postby mrossk » Thu Jul 12, 2018 4:53 pm

Can't speak to the slave cylinder, but I second that bleeding the master seems like the solution. A word of caution, though. The threads for the bleed screw are very fragile, easily stripped (he says from personal experience :oops: ) so finger tight is really all you need. Good luck.

Adrock990r
Two wheeled terror

Postby Adrock990r » Thu Jul 12, 2018 6:03 pm

mrossk wrote:Can't speak to the slave cylinder, but I second that bleeding the master seems like the solution. A word of caution, though. The threads for the bleed screw are very fragile, easily stripped (he says from personal experience :oops: ) so finger tight is really all you need. Good luck.

Oh man i stripped my master cyl bleed screw aswell, all i could do was clean up the mess, think about how many weeks it was going to take to get a new one sent and try and learn from that mistake. I accept the fact that i must have been a touch heavy handed but i think it was more the amount of times the bleed screw had been opened and closed due to the shitty clutch system constantly sucking air and needing to be bled. So yeh, be cautious with that petite little screw.

Austeniitti
Minimoto racer

Postby Austeniitti » Thu Jul 12, 2018 9:57 pm

Hello!

I got the clutch working! The secret was to bleed the slave cylinder AND the master cylinder as well. I really hope I didn't strip the tiny screw, as I used a wrench. Didn't force it too tight, I think.

Thanks all for assistance! The clutch works like a charm. I had forgotten how a properly working clutch feels like as it bites after a short lever pull! :)
'14 1290 SDR

RyanD
Minimoto racer

Postby RyanD » Fri Jul 20, 2018 4:34 pm

Next time go get yourself a 6mm wrench for the master cylinder. They're not that expensive, and will save you from rounding off the bolt. You can bleed the slave all day, but if there's air in the master your clutch will only improve marginally. Literally bleeding the master one time improves the feel of the clutch way more than the hour I spent bleeding the slave. Pump the clutch 4 or 5 times and hold, open bleeder, close bleeder, let off the clutch. Repeat maybe 1 more time and you'll be good.

Its a good idea to do this every few thousand miles as your clutch starts to feel spongy.

Be careful though. I shot myself in the eye with hydraulic fluid yesterday doing this from the master. Thankfully my 2014 uses mineral oil rather than brake fluid.

Austeniitti
Minimoto racer

Postby Austeniitti » Fri Jul 27, 2018 10:50 pm

I had to go to the hardware show and buy the 6mm wrench just for that job. Didn't have that small as I've never needed that size before. :)

I put in mineral oil as well, as per 2014 manual suggestion. Better for eyes too... :)
'14 1290 SDR

cubfoot
Minimoto racer

Postby cubfoot » Mon Jul 30, 2018 8:03 am

Adrock990r wrote:
mrossk wrote:Can't speak to the slave cylinder, but I second that bleeding the master seems like the solution. A word of caution, though. The threads for the bleed screw are very fragile, easily stripped (he says from personal experience :oops: ) so finger tight is really all you need. Good luck.

Oh man i stripped my master cyl bleed screw aswell, all i could do was clean up the mess, think about how many weeks it was going to take to get a new one sent and try and learn from that mistake. I accept the fact that i must have been a touch heavy handed but i think it was more the amount of times the bleed screw had been opened and closed due to the shitty clutch system constantly sucking air and needing to be bled. So yeh, be cautious with that petite little screw.

Same here! Bled the master cylinder regularly (with some results) -and eventually twisted that little bolt too much, duh! Careful when you're tightening it!
don't buy a 701 when you want a 1290

Return to Technical - Dr F's Words of Wisdom