MotorKote, yes or no?

general forum > questions . answers . discussions
Sarasota_Steve

MotorKote, yes or no?

Postby Sarasota_Steve » Wed Sep 05, 2018 2:42 pm

Please watch this video prior to answering.

I'm pretty convinced.

Ride Hard,
------------------
Sarasota_Steve
18 1290 SDR
09 Aprilia Sportcity
04 SV650

Scotty
Two wheeled terror

Re: MotorKote, yes or no?

Postby Scotty » Thu Sep 06, 2018 7:14 am

Absolutely not Steve! If your 1290 had a dry clutch you might get away with it, but it's designed for car engines that don't run wet clutches like most bikes do. You'd end up in clutch Slip City if you did use it. :shock:

Additionally, under no circumstances should you exchange your oil (with or without MotorKote) for water! A bike engine is a little more critical of its lubricants than a Briggs & Stratton lawnmower motor... :roll:

As an Engineer I can't get over the colonials (no offence) talking about volumes in terms of ounces - that's an outdated measure of mass. There's one question that I'm yet to get an answer to: do 16 fluid ounces make a fluid pound? :?
Wheelies - they ARE big, and they ARE clever....

Sarasota_Steve

Postby Sarasota_Steve » Thu Sep 06, 2018 12:52 pm

Scotty,

I'm not about to replace the Motorex 10w-50 for MotorKote. I have a Honda truck with 187k miles and my wife drives a Mazda3 with 65k miles. I was thinking that this product may be helpful to improve gas mileage in those vehicles. Not replacing the oil, but using it as recommended. You'd add 8oz during an oil change mixed with 3.5 or 4qt of your favorite oil. (In my case, Mobil 1 synthetic 5W-20).

I went to the store yesterday, I saw it on the shelf, they want $30 for 16oz. I can get 4qt of Mobil 1 for $45 and sometimes cheaper. I do my own regular oil/filter changes as I use my truck for work and have to have a reliable vehicle.

Again, my question was if this product would give me better gas mileage and less wear. That's all.
Ride Hard,
------------------
Sarasota_Steve
18 1290 SDR
09 Aprilia Sportcity
04 SV650

DribbleDuke
Master of the twisties

Postby DribbleDuke » Thu Sep 06, 2018 11:26 pm

Scotty wrote:Absolutely not Steve! If your 1290 had a dry clutch you might get away with it, but it's designed for car engines that don't run wet clutches like most bikes do. You'd end up in clutch Slip City if you did use it. :shock:

Additionally, under no circumstances should you exchange your oil (with or without MotorKote) for water! A bike engine is a little more critical of its lubricants than a Briggs & Stratton lawnmower motor... :roll:

As an Engineer I can't get over the colonials (no offence) talking about volumes in terms of ounces - that's an outdated measure of mass. There's one question that I'm yet to get an answer to: do 16 fluid ounces make a fluid pound? :?

Yes if that fluid is water at sea level I'm 16 stone but mostly water as I have gained a few pounds and a few ounces.
I'm BLUE

DribbleDuke
Master of the twisties

Postby DribbleDuke » Thu Sep 06, 2018 11:30 pm

Sarasota_Steve wrote:Scotty,

I'm not about to replace the Motorex 10w-50 for MotorKote. I have a Honda truck with 187k miles and my wife drives a Mazda3 with 65k miles. I was thinking that this product may be helpful to improve gas mileage in those vehicles. Not replacing the oil, but using it as recommended. You'd add 8oz during an oil change mixed with 3.5 or 4qt of your favorite oil. (In my case, Mobil 1 synthetic 5W-20).

I went to the store yesterday, I saw it on the shelf, they want $30 for 16oz. I can get 4qt of Mobil 1 for $45 and sometimes cheaper. I do my own regular oil/filter changes as I use my truck for work and have to have a reliable vehicle.

Again, my question was if this product would give me better gas mileage and less wear. That's all.

Snake oil
I'm BLUE

05DUKE
Minimoto racer

Postby 05DUKE » Sat Sep 08, 2018 10:37 pm

Stick to a known additive that works..

I add Moray's to my high Km/mile 302 and it runs sweet

But then again try it tell me how it goes, maybe?

cessnatpa
Two wheeled terror

SNAKE OIL

Postby cessnatpa » Sat Sep 15, 2018 11:37 am

Personally I think all these miracle oil additives are a waste of money. Just do the recommended oil changes with a good oil and you will be fine. But if it makes you feel better giving you the warm fuzzys I don't think it will hurt anything but your wallet :)

Return to Hooliganism