Hello from the uk

introduce yourself
Drubert155
Minimoto racer

Hello from the uk

Postby Drubert155 » Tue Sep 25, 2018 10:47 am

Hi I’m new here and am currently riding a modded Honda vtr1000 but am looking at either a 990 sd or 990 sdr and was wondering about any problems and mods that should be done. I’ve already heard about the water pump problems.

Thanks

RichUK
Two wheeled terror

Re: Hello from the uk

Postby RichUK » Tue Sep 25, 2018 11:10 am

Hi & Welcome
Where are you in the UK?

I'm in Somerset.
I bought my SD990 Sept 2016 and straight away the water seal went (or more likely had already gone), was a simple enough job to sort though, it's something you should expect at around 15,000 miles.
The latest issue mine has is the coolant hoses don't seem to want to keep the coolant in :roll: , PITA job so I have put that off until Spring now as I have another bike to finish the season off on.

It's a great bike, I can't vouch for the SDR but unless you get the full power version there seems little point in accepting the world's most uncomfortable seat in favour of the slightly more aggressive styling. Then again..., if your VTR is the SP1 or SP2 you'll be use to sitting on 1cm of foam. :mrgreen:

The SDR looks better for sure but the SD is likely better to live with, I can ride all day without feeling cramped or feeling like the seat is hard. Mines has the common mods so has smooth throttle response and lots of power.
Motohooligan airbox, decat Akro pipes (standard header), power commander III and has been rolling road tuned. She makes 121hp as the rear wheel, which I think must be similar to what the full fat SDR's make.
So if it's an SDR you want try to get an 08 as others (I think) as just body changes but no extra power.

Scotty
Two wheeled terror

Postby Scotty » Tue Sep 25, 2018 12:28 pm

Welcome aboard Drubert, let us all know whereabouts you're based. If you're looking for a 990SD I still have one for sale (check the For Sale pages, price negotiable to an extent).

Hope you get sorted soon and enjoy your time on a SuperDuke, the most fun bike ever made! 8)
Wheelies - they ARE big, and they ARE clever....

Drubert155
Minimoto racer

Postby Drubert155 » Fri Sep 28, 2018 7:18 am

Hi all thanks for the replies. I’m from Ipswich Suffolk. Although will travel for the right bike. I gotta say the whole 990 range (except the adventure) appeals to me as I like to ride my VTR like I stole it most of the time although do stick to the limits in built up areas. But me and my brother in law like to let’s say explore a bikes limits on the open roads (he rides a 2012 z1000) it’s a beast of a bike so ain’t ready for a sofa yet. Still gotta make me laugh whatever bike I decide to get

Sarasota_Steve

Postby Sarasota_Steve » Fri Sep 28, 2018 12:01 pm

Drubert155 wrote:it’s a beast of a bike so ain’t ready for a sofa yet. Still gotta make me laugh whatever bike I decide to get

Good way to put it. It will make you laugh every time you ride it .

Welcome in!

Enjoy the wealth of knowledge you'll find in this forum.
Ride Hard,
------------------
Sarasota_Steve
18 1290 SDR
09 Aprilia Sportcity
04 SV650

Return to Hello