Coolant system bleeding

Done a good mod that people might want to copy? Post it here - full step-by-step instructions and pix.

FAQs can go in here too

Would you be interested in a tool to allow you to vacuum bleed your cooling system?

Poll runs till Wed Jan 30, 2019 3:42 pm

Yes, I would to not have to worry about bubbles anymore!
50%
No, I like bleeding my coolant the old way.
50%

Total votes : 4

redlimit835
Minimoto racer

Coolant system bleeding

Postby redlimit835 » Sat Dec 01, 2018 3:42 pm

Hey everyone,

I was wondering if anybody has tried using an airlift system to bleed their Dukes cooling system? Based on my understand both the 990 and 1290 involve some creativity to hold the front wheel in the air to bleed the system, and if you get it wrong you normally find out in traffic.

I was considering making an adapter that would allow you to hook up your favorite vacuum pump the the radiators on the dukes and bleed the cooling system similar to how Airlift works. This would eliminate the chances of air bubbles and make our lives much easier. One less thing to worry about when your water pump seal goes out.... next time.

Let me know if you would be interested, and I will see what I can put together for us.

Cheers.

RichUK
Two wheeled terror

Re: Coolant system bleeding

Postby RichUK » Sat Dec 01, 2018 5:00 pm

I can't see how a vacuum pump would help, could you explain?

redlimit835
Minimoto racer

Postby redlimit835 » Sat Dec 01, 2018 9:40 pm

RichUK wrote:I can't see how a vacuum pump would help, could you explain?

Sure I can explain. This is actually a very common method to fill cooling systems, it is actually how OEMs like Honda (Where I use to work) fill the cooling system on cars on the assembly line. It serves 2 functions for the OEM, making sure they have no leaks when they Vac it down and then they know there will be no bubbles in the system so they don't need to run the cars to "burp" them.

-------

What you do is you connect the fitting to the radiator cap location, using the vacuum you pull out all the air.

Then you use a valve to disconnect the pump and make sure you can hold the system at a vacuum. (meaning you have a good seal and no leaks)

Then you connect a line with coolant to the valve, when you open it the vacuum will suck the coolant into the cooling system and fill it completely leaving essentially no air in the cooling system.

If you want to see an example just google videos of people using the Airlift product. Its very popular because its required to fill the cooling systems on a some specialty cars like Porsche and VWs.

Actually here is one for you to check out.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vwUHkee-ovw

RichUK
Two wheeled terror

Postby RichUK » Sat Dec 01, 2018 11:34 pm

Looks pretty cool. :D

Sarasota_Steve

Postby Sarasota_Steve » Sun Dec 02, 2018 4:08 am

I might be persuaded into purchasing one. Let us know if you decide to make it.
Ride Hard,
------------------
Sarasota_Steve
18 1290 SDR
09 Aprilia Sportcity
04 SV650

Edorta
Two wheeled terror

Postby Edorta » Sat Dec 08, 2018 1:04 pm

redlimit835 wrote:Hey everyone,

I was wondering if anybody has tried using an airlift system to bleed their Dukes cooling system? Based on my understand both the 990 and 1290 involve some creativity to hold the front wheel in the air to bleed the system, and if you get it wrong you normally find out in traffic.

I was considering making an adapter that would allow you to hook up your favorite vacuum pump the the radiators on the dukes and bleed the cooling system similar to how Airlift works. This would eliminate the chances of air bubbles and make our lives much easier. One less thing to worry about when your water pump seal goes out.... next time.

Let me know if you would be interested, and I will see what I can put together for us.

Cheers.

Don't need any fancy system to bleed the coolant.

Try to lean all you can the bike with the engine running and the plug opened.

Every time you do it the level of the fluid should down, fill it and repeat. Do it 2 or 3 times and the system will be perfect bleeded.
Ride it like you stole it!!!

SDNerd
Master of the twisties

Postby SDNerd » Mon Dec 10, 2018 11:51 pm

Edorta wrote:Don't need any fancy system to bleed the coolant.

Try to lean all you can the bike with the engine running and the plug opened.

Every time you do it the level of the fluid should down, fill it and repeat. Do it 2 or 3 times and the system will be perfect bleeded.

Definitely one way ... Certainly more than one way to skin this cat. Either a pressure or vacuum bleed can be accomplished with products already available.

Keep in mind, even tool junkies like myself have to justify buying a specialty tool based on use and the convenience (time/labour savings) it provides. People generally don't flush/fill their SDs with any great frequency, and most bikes don't really need this process. Granted, there's the occasional "... didn't really need it but just had to have it because its ridiculously ridiculous ..." item one purchases, but there are plenty of vacuum/pressure products already available to do this.

Return to How to do it!