Well I did it again

general forum > questions . answers . discussions
DribbleDuke
Master of the twisties

Well I did it again

Postby DribbleDuke » Tue May 14, 2019 3:56 am

There were a few frustrating years of Superduke ownership. It seemed that the Superduke problems were only skin deep. It never left me stranded and never let me feel like it wouldn't. I love the nature of the Superduke and have not been on a motorcycle that behaved even slightly similar to it. I collected a fair amount of ancillary parts through the years. Mostly crash replacement parts and track day plastics that were always on my bike up to the day I put it up for sale. I ran knackered scratched parts for fear that if I left the new pretty parts on they would inevitably hit tarmac and ruin the pretty ones. It has been about two years since I sold the bike and I'm pretty sure no-one on this site except for Jmann was aware of my foolishness. Quite frankly I was embarrassed. Well today i purchased a 2008 White SD with 23104 on the clocks. I like the white ones and If I remember correctly they crash a little softer. This is from some pictures I saw of SDnerd's bike from many moons ago. I'm digging through it now and cleaning up the years of neglect this bike has lived with. I do not understand how a Superduke owner could have such low pride of ownership when they are-were blessed with an incredible piece of machinery. The sight tube was so stained from dare I say burnt oil that you could not discern wether it had oil in it. No it did not and upon further inspection I found it was only a half quart low.
There are items that I want to do to this bike that have been discussed on many occasions. That said I feel that I have earned the right not to get the "use search" bullshit thrown this way when I ask for help with certain problems. I have entertained your fat asses off and on for dam near twelve years leaving many here scratching there heads in wonder whatthefuckisheonaboutnow? I remember reading about the easy hook up for a battery tender lead from bic but don't recall what he typed.
Anyway here we go.

For the last two years I would say If I had a Superduke and you had a feather up your ass we would both be tickled, I'm all giggles
I'm BLUE

RichUK
Two wheeled terror

Re: Well I did it again

Postby RichUK » Tue May 14, 2019 8:54 am

Everyone has memories of old bikes, and through the rose coloured filter of nostalgia it is easy the want what you use to have, the pull of the past is strong..

Thing is, I have spoken to (and read) many 990 SuperDuke owners who have moved on only to regret selling their pride and joy.

Mine has had it's issues, within the first months of ownership I had to do the water pump seal, ok I was expecting that..
The following Spring she started loosing a bit of coolant from somewhere. I was busy with other things and had just saved enough money to upgrade my tourer so I moth balled the SD and instead focused on the selling my old & buying a newer bike. Now have an 1190 Adv in the garage, and she is nice, and fast!:D

This Spring I bought new coolant hoses & rad cap for the SD, clean the air filter (motohooligan), oil & filter, and ACF50 treated her... even bought a compressor & spray gun so I could do that properly (and because I've always wanted to own a compressor).

So this last weekend was my first proper ride on her since last August, so good to be back. Next year I will be able to afford to upgrade her to a 1290 if I wanted too... I'm just not sure I want too.

jmann

Postby jmann » Tue May 14, 2019 8:33 pm

Ha!!! Welcome back comrade dribble :D :D :D

Glad you've been tickled again.

We must be birds of a feather because I've got a whole workshop rack with pretty parts, new parts, and just-in-case parts - all too good to put on a hack.

I'm not sure what thread you are referring to of Bic's but this thread has a reference to some jump-start cables I leave in place:

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=26976&p=329172&hilit=battery#p329172

DribbleDuke
Master of the twisties

Postby DribbleDuke » Wed May 15, 2019 4:13 am

RichUK wrote:Everyone has memories of old bikes, and through the rose coloured filter of nostalgia it is easy the want what you use to have, the pull of the past is strong..

Thing is, I have spoken to (and read) many 990 SuperDuke owners who have moved on only to regret selling their pride and joy.

Mine has had it's issues, within the first months of ownership I had to do the water pump seal, ok I was expecting that..
The following Spring she started loosing a bit of coolant from somewhere. I was busy with other things and had just saved enough money to upgrade my tourer so I moth balled the SD and instead focused on the selling my old & buying a newer bike. Now have an 1190 Adv in the garage, and she is nice, and fast!:D

This Spring I bought new coolant hoses & rad cap for the SD, clean the air filter (motohooligan), oil & filter, and ACF50 treated her... even bought a compressor & spray gun so I could do that properly (and because I've always wanted to own a compressor).

So this last weekend was my first proper ride on her since last August, so good to be back. Next year I will be able to afford to upgrade her to a 1290 if I wanted too... I'm just not sure I want too.

It was never a point that the 990 was not enough bike for me so the thought of upgrading to a 1290 wasn't even part of the equation. I have this idea that good is good enough. The power of the SD is plenty good enough. The ability for the SD to hit an apex is splendid. The squirt out after is very controlled and in most every circumstance linear with very few OH SHIT throttle chops. I believe that if this bike stayed in the same tune and chassis characteristics I would have little doubt that It could be bested by another motorcycle for my personal needs in a motorcycle. My experience is limited to a degree but not so limited that I don't know a good bike when I ride one. For me the splendor is that it is a motorcycle that is at or dam close to the most bike needed without rider aids in an upright riders position. It needs not a back torque limiting clutch, a steering damper, an anti wheelie device, or rider aids that become much more important when too much horsepower needs to be tamed. It is a smashingly wonderful bike that rides the curved roads as if it were made just to my qualifications.

I started with my clean up and detail and am hard pressed to start down the never ending modifications. It is an unmolested motorcycle with an original exhaust, evaporative canister, probable original ECU flash,
The thing is I know that it won't stay this way. Hell the weight savings in new exhaust is far too tempting . But some how I feel that leaving it in its standard factory guise for a time just to see what the factory engineered bike was all about is tempting. I have noticed that if my recollection is correct KTM switched to Torx screws instead of Alen between 2007 and 2008. Can any one out there recommend a quality rim tape?
I'm BLUE

jmann

Postby jmann » Thu May 16, 2019 3:51 am

Comrade Dribble: Yes!!! That quality rim-tape is exactly what I've been looking for. I'm sure somebody with lots of experience will chime in. I believe its very popular with the IL3 set :lol:

Return to Hooliganism