1290 SDR Cam Chain Tension Fail

problems . solutions . product reviews . tips
Gearhead
Minimoto racer

1290 SDR Cam Chain Tension Fail

Postby Gearhead » Sun Sep 08, 2019 10:12 am

I just realised I had posted in "How To Do it" This is better suited for "Technical".

I had a problem come up while replacing the valve shims on my 2014 SDR. While I had been warned of not getting the tensioner set right, I still screwed it up. I installed the tensioner for the front cylinder and felt like I had it set properly but didn't. I mean I heard a faint click and the chain went tight but While rotating the engine over I heard a clicking noise and then lock up. I stopped rotating at this point and pulled the tensioner out only to see that it was not set. Ugh! Now what?

I'm now thinking I'll need to pull the alternator cover for a look inside. In reading the manual, it looks like the torque limiter, idler and rotor need to come off to access the timing chain. What would I expect to see that the chain has done. It's tight and the cams will not come free the way it sits now. Would it be bunched up inside the case? Skipped a tooth? I'm just not sure at this point if the chain can be removed with only pulling the components mentioned on the left side or is it a bigger problem?

Thanks in advance.

Gearhead
Minimoto racer

Re: 1290 SDR Cam Chain Tension Fail

Postby Gearhead » Mon Sep 09, 2019 12:28 am

Well I managed to free up the chain today. I watched another tutorial on these tensioners and, put the cams back in after setting up at TDC. Thought I had a pretty good understanding how these tensioners work so in it went and then tensioned it. Perfect. Now I go to rotate for rear cylinder TDC and low and behond the front chain goes loose again. WTF? I repeated the tensioner re and re about 5 more times. Either these things are junk or I'm doing something wrong.

Return to Technical - Dr F's Words of Wisdom