Buenos Nachos from California

introduce yourself
Gingerohooligan
Minimoto racer

Buenos Nachos from California

Postby Gingerohooligan » Wed Nov 06, 2019 6:52 pm

What's up everyone, new member here from Sacramento, CA.
I've been lurking around the forums for a while, waiting for my account to be activated. Little did I know I had to email admin to get that taken care of :lol:
I picked up my 15 Super duke about 2 months ago and have been loving every minute of it. I've had my eye on one since they came out in 2014. I've owned several bikes and this is hands down my absolute favorite motorcycle. EVER.
The bike came equipped with some goodies, PP seat, PP side bags, heated grips, de-cat pipe, and fender eliminator and puig windscreen which i removed. Ive put over 2000 miles on it already commuting back and forth to work and I am completely blown away. A bike that can carry my day-to-day stuff, net me 200miles to a tank of gas, and is comfortable for long hauls and in the cold, should not be that much fun to ride. Well done KTM! :twisted:
I am going to be installing an Austin racing slip on to go with the de-cat and I'll eventually get a motohooligan air filter system. I will head to the local dealer to get the Akra Map installed and i'm excited to see how that turns out.
The bike has had some little niggles but nothing that swap my opinion of it. Front brake switch warning has come on a handful of times, a general failure error has occured a few times, mostly after fill ups when i top off the tank, and my battery shit the bed on me, so I installed a shorai lithium battery.
I'd like to upgrade the lighting on the bike, but im finding it a bit difficult to find any info on LED headlight upgrades. I'd also like to add a set of auxiliary lights for visibility, especially at night. These damn California drivers are getting worse and worse by the day! It seems clear water is the way to go, but haven't found much on those either for SDR owners, more or so with the adventure guys.
Anyways, I look forward to learning, contributing, and perhaps riding with some of you yocals, because this bike is in my stable for the long haul!

Cheers!
Never trade the thrills of living, for the security of existence.

Black Out
Minimoto racer

Re: Buenos Nachos from California

Postby Black Out » Thu Nov 07, 2019 3:40 pm

Welcome. Awesome bike. I used to live in Sacramento in the 90s. Loved it then but have heard the homeless are overrunning the state.
Ducati Monster 800
Triumph Speed Triple 1050
KTM SuperDuke 990

mrossk
Two wheeled terror

Postby mrossk » Thu Nov 07, 2019 5:05 pm

Welcome. I bought an LED headlight kit from a guy on Ebay. Solid kit, plug and play. The low beam is excellent, much improved over stock. the high beam is less impressive, but the low is so good I still think it's worth it: https://www.ebay.com/itm/KTM-Super-Duke ... 2749.l2649

Gingerohooligan
Minimoto racer

Postby Gingerohooligan » Thu Nov 07, 2019 6:14 pm

Black Out wrote:Welcome. Awesome bike. I used to live in Sacramento in the 90s. Loved it then but have heard the homeless are overrunning the state.

Sacramento is getting worse, but were not even close to scale of homelessness in LA and in the Bay area.

mrossk wrote:Welcome. I bought an LED headlight kit from a guy on Ebay. Solid kit, plug and play. The low beam is excellent, much improved over stock. the high beam is less impressive, but the low is so good I still think it's worth it: https://www.ebay.com/itm/KTM-Super-Duke ... 2749.l2649

Thanks for the info! for the price, you cant really beat it, Ill give it a go and see how it works.
I spoke with Cyclops Adventure yesterday, and they are testing a new SDR headlight set up that they expect to be ready to sell in 4-6 weeks, i'd be curious to see how it is, but for now I think ill try your recommendation.

mrossk
Two wheeled terror

Postby mrossk » Thu Nov 07, 2019 8:10 pm

glad to help- I had to adjust the angle of the headlight a bit to get it where I like it, but otherwise it's an easy install.

Gingerohooligan
Minimoto racer

Postby Gingerohooligan » Thu Nov 07, 2019 9:20 pm

mrossk wrote:glad to help- I had to adjust the angle of the headlight a bit to get it where I like it, but otherwise it's an easy install.

I ordered it up, hes located about 150 miles south of me so hopefully it should show up rather quickly. Any tips for making headlight adjustments? did you adjust the bulb itself, or the whole headlight assembly? I haven't got into it yet so I have no idea if there is a headlight adjustment know or anything. Ive also read that the heated grip plugs are located in or near the headlamp assembly, which my bike has equipped, so hopefully this wont cause any issues with fitting the bulb.

mrossk
Two wheeled terror

Postby mrossk » Thu Nov 07, 2019 9:40 pm

there's a phillips head adjuster screw, hidden in a hole, on the right (brake) side of the headlight casing that adjusts the whole assembly up or down. It's in the owner's manual (if you get one). You'll see a "+" and "-" on there. Easy-peasy.

DribbleDuke
Master of the twisties

Postby DribbleDuke » Thu Nov 07, 2019 10:57 pm

Black Out wrote:Welcome. Awesome bike. I used to live in Sacramento in the 90s. Loved it then but have heard the homeless are overrunning the state.

Hang in there Gingero. You'll still be in comfortable surrounds even with all those bums you need to swerve around. One thing that street beggars hanging out on stoplight island with there Crayola cardboard signs have in common is they do not expect us to disrobe in order to hand them money.
I went to the bar in my Tennessee home to watch my New England Patriots loose their first game last Monday night. The tar bender while handing me a Corona said that he hates San Francisco because all the bums. It must be a regional attitude. I said that when you have weather as fine as California and the fifth largest economy in the world it is bound to create an environment that is conducive to all type of living arrangements. Upon further investigation it was found out that this backward ass countryfuck had never been anywhere close to stepping foot west of the Mississippi. Don't let some other tell you that your town is overrun with anything that spoils life in a Capitol City that represents the coolest riders in the country.
Happy you are so well pleased with your new bike.
I'm BLUE

SDNerd
Master of the twisties

Postby SDNerd » Fri Nov 08, 2019 3:50 pm

Welcome.

Homeless aside (a complex problem ...), you can be assured that you've settled in a location that is so near to some of the finest motorcycling roads on the planet. I won't go into the world-class snow-sliding available a mere couple hours away, national forests and parks, and, and, and.

Down in our southwest most corner, where we are also fortunate enough have phenomenal roads and year-round opportunity to ride them, they are maybe a notch less scenic more traveled than what's up your way.

All I can say is get out there and enjoy the ride.

Black Out
Minimoto racer

Postby Black Out » Fri Nov 08, 2019 7:11 pm

You've gotta hit Hwy 49 north of Nevada City. Best to do it on a nice summer day. When you get to where 49 crosses the Yuba River, get off the bike and hike up the river about a mile. One of the best swimming holes ever.
Ducati Monster 800
KTM SuperDuke 990

Gingerohooligan
Minimoto racer

Postby Gingerohooligan » Fri Nov 08, 2019 7:26 pm

Black Out wrote:You've gotta hit Hwy 49 north of Nevada City. Best to do it on a nice summer day. When you get to where 49 crosses the Yuba River, get off the bike and hike up the river about a mile. One of the best swimming holes ever.

I've actually been up that way! I haven't ridden it unfortunately but i've ridden all over everything between Auburn and Placerville. That swimming hole is nice! me and my lady drive up there and hike it during the summer, we'll occasionally catch a couple of nude sun bathers lol. Really nice people though!

Gingerohooligan
Minimoto racer

Postby Gingerohooligan » Fri Nov 08, 2019 7:50 pm

So i went and did a thing. After waiting for 2 months, it finally arrived. Going to the dealer Tuesday for the akra map download.

Black Out
Minimoto racer

Postby Black Out » Wed Nov 13, 2019 2:19 pm

nude sun bathers lol
Yep, that's the place.
Ducati Monster 800
KTM SuperDuke 990

Return to Hello