balancing the Throttle bodies to eliminate hunting.

Done a good mod that people might want to copy? Post it here - full step-by-step instructions and pix.

FAQs can go in here too
topendz

balancing the Throttle bodies to eliminate hunting.

Postby topendz » Fri Jun 20, 2008 12:27 pm

Ok chaps I know a couple of you have done the Throttle Body Sync. My carbtune should arrive any day now and I want to get this checked at least. I've written down what Locker and 990998 have said but I am looking for specifics on where the carbtune connects and what to disconnect to avoid the stalling while checking.

Who can put their action to words and finally post a step by step with pictures if possible, stand up and be counted :wink:

Cheers in advance.
Last edited by topendz on Mon Jun 30, 2008 4:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Chris
Two wheeled terror

Postby Chris » Fri Jun 20, 2008 12:53 pm

I can't help but I'm very keen to see the results!!

lockers
Stunt rider

Postby lockers » Sat Jun 21, 2008 1:20 am

I use the vaccum hoses that connect to the IAP (intake air pressure) sensors. Theres one on the frame beside the left side of the airbox and one just behind the radiator filler cap on the right. It's just small sensor with one thin hose and elec plug connecting to it, mounted in a rubber holder. Just pull the hose off, stick a joiner in the end of the existing hose and then connect the carbtune hose to that. You must disconnect the Elec plug too, or it will stall when running. You will have an FI light to come on too, due the the disconnected IAP sensors but don't worry about that.

The adjustment/balance screw is inside the airbox, on the left side of the rear throttle body. You need to raise the tank/remove the air filter to get to it. Then just tweak it until she's running sweet and re-assemble.

I do mine every minor service.

And then on the eighth day, The Devil created the KTM Super Duke 990 ; cos he was a bad ass, and had to get around town..... God secretly wished he had one.

duke990998
Two wheeled terror

Postby duke990998 » Sat Jun 21, 2008 6:41 am

Lockers, thanks for the beautiful work with the pics. I was actually out in the garage about to do this when it hit me that I probably should check the forum first. thanks for saving me the time.
the pictures are awesome, should help anyone interested in doing this.
I agree with you on balancing at every service. I think I mentioned that my FZ1 runs like shit if the carbs are out. balancing my superduke cured all my issues with the bike, along with a littler richer fueling on the low end.
I really love the bike now, never ride the FZ1 and considering selling it.
thanks for the support on the tb issue

Topendz
the previous posts by lockers and myself along with lockers pics here should set you up nicely. If you run into trouble let us know. it really is easy on this bike, believe me. hope to see your positive results posted here so all the others can get their badboys fixed.

the-bunker
Stunt rider

Postby the-bunker » Sat Jun 21, 2008 10:53 am

Excellent pics - what revs do you run the bike when measuring ?

This should be moved to "How to do it" or whatever the thread is called.
Meow

duke990998
Two wheeled terror

Postby duke990998 » Sat Jun 21, 2008 11:59 am

synchronizing is done at idle.
its nice to raise the rpms to see if balancing remains at highter rpms but the adjustment is made at idle. after you think you have the tb's balanced at idle, raise the rpms and let drop back to idle and check the columns again and readjust if necessary.

OldYelr
Two wheeled terror

Postby OldYelr » Sat Jun 21, 2008 12:14 pm

USE CAUTION!!! If your synchronizer uses MERCURY (as the one above), this can be sucked into and through your engine! This will turn your SD/garage/livingroom/whereever into a mercury contaminated dead zone. In addition you will probably inhale enough mercury before you can leave the area to cause CNS damage and make your nads shrivel...
'07 SD Akro Ti full system, DNA filter

ginger1
Two wheeled terror

Postby ginger1 » Sat Jun 21, 2008 2:20 pm

OldYelr wrote:USE CAUTION!!! If your synchronizer uses MERCURY (as the one above), this can be sucked into and through your engine! This will turn your SD/garage/livingroom/whereever into a mercury contaminated dead zone. In addition you will probably inhale enough mercury before you can leave the area to cause CNS damage and make your nads shrivel...

Dont panick , there NOT mercury , just looks like it.

Rare to get your hands on mercury guages nowa days .
LOCKER , top post , big thanks for that :wink:

Where did you get the little rubber bits to blank off 2 of the intakes on your carbtunes , i also have the 4 cyclinder ones , so i will need to blcok 2 off.

Big cheers.

:D

kendo57
Two wheeled terror

Postby kendo57 » Sat Jun 21, 2008 3:09 pm

OldYelr wrote:USE CAUTION!!! If your synchronizer uses MERCURY (as the one above), this can be sucked into and through your engine! This will turn your SD/garage/livingroom/whereever into a mercury contaminated dead zone. In addition you will probably inhale enough mercury before you can leave the area to cause CNS damage and make your nads shrivel...

lol , you don't work for a tabloid newspaper do you.

OldYelr
Two wheeled terror

Postby OldYelr » Sat Jun 21, 2008 6:20 pm

I have a set of Motion-Pro carb sync stix that use mercury. Nope I don't work for a tabloid. You figure Mercury is safe stuff kendo57? Here's some light reading Mercury MSDS
'07 SD Akro Ti full system, DNA filter

lockers
Stunt rider

Postby lockers » Sat Jun 21, 2008 10:40 pm

ginger1 wrote:
Dont panick , there NOT mercury , just looks like it.

Rare to get your hands on mercury guages nowa days .
LOCKER , top post , big thanks for that :wink:

Where did you get the little rubber bits to blank off 2 of the intakes on your carbtunes , i also have the 4 cyclinder ones , so i will need to blcok 2 off.

Big cheers.

:D

No need to blank off the tubes you're not using. I actually swap between them while I'm doing it. Some are a little more sensitive than others - or i just need to clean my gauge. :lol:
And then on the eighth day, The Devil created the KTM Super Duke 990 ; cos he was a bad ass, and had to get around town..... God secretly wished he had one.

topendz

Postby topendz » Sun Jun 22, 2008 12:03 am

Lockers you are a complete star I am personally very grateful for you posting this!

Allan P.
Minimoto racer

Postby Allan P. » Sun Jun 22, 2008 12:24 am

Many thanks Lockers. Like Duke990998 I also have an FZ1 and use my Carbtune on that every time I do maintenance which requires me to lift the tank. It makes a real difference to the running of the bike, and now I know how to do it on my SD :D

klutsch
Minimoto racer

Postby klutsch » Mon Jun 23, 2008 8:57 pm

Not wanting to buy a CarbTune or equivalent, why wouldn't the old school way to balancing twins work? Simple tubing shaped into a U with water in it, a classic U tube manometer. Connect the two ends as above and then just balance the levels. The absolute level is irrelevant, just the balance, so no need for marks, etc. Ad no mercury worries either!

http://www.motoguzziclub.co.uk/tech/howto_watermanometer.asp

cjc
Trackday hero

Postby cjc » Mon Jun 23, 2008 9:28 pm

That is awesome. I'll fill mine with glowing green water to feel more like a mad scientist.

mikef4uk
Two wheeled terror

Postby mikef4uk » Mon Jun 23, 2008 10:03 pm

OldYelr wrote:I have a set of Motion-Pro carb sync stix that use mercury. Nope I don't work for a tabloid. You figure Mercury is safe stuff kendo57? Here's some light reading Mercury MSDS

Tradesmen who make top hats used to use Mercury,as part of the process hence the phrase
''Mad as a Hatter'' :shock:

jehadjoe
Thunder pumpkin rider

Postby jehadjoe » Mon Jun 23, 2008 11:12 pm

Lockers, man ye have noice hands! and I see you cleaned your bike prior to the editorial,

thanks to all !! topendz, to author the thread and of course lockers for being a stand-up dude and helping all of us and many untold folks beyond,

yer legacy will live on for a long time to come, and mark for telling us of the threat of shrinking nads too.... :D

topendz

Postby topendz » Tue Jun 24, 2008 11:44 am

My carbtune arrived yesterday so I will let everyone know how I get on when I get a chance to check.

the-bunker
Stunt rider

Postby the-bunker » Sat Jun 28, 2008 11:30 pm

So I ordered a CarbTune & did mine today - it was easy, thanks to lockers pics & other contributions :)

Mine was out quite a bit - you could tell how it affects the smooth running when you turn the screw to adjust - when it's balanced the tickover is faster & slicker; unbalanced & tickover is slower & lumpier.

Haven't had chance to ride it yet, but am hopeful it's smoothed things out a bit.

UPDATE 29/06: Smooooth... ! 8) - this made a real difference to the running of the bike - I'm really happy with the results. :D
Meow

topendz

Postby topendz » Mon Jun 30, 2008 12:39 am

Did mine also very easy thanks to lockers. Mine were off balance considerably too. Went out for a quick jaunt, too soon to be 100% sure whether it has eliminating the hunting/hesitation between 3500/5000 rpm but I have a feeling is has, EXCELLENT, things are looking up!

It did take me quite a while to get them balanced as the screw is very sensitive, and I checked it again and again about 6 times. I will probably do it yet again once my BMC Air Filter arrives in a day or so also.

SDSmurf
Wheelie king

Postby SDSmurf » Mon Jun 30, 2008 7:35 am

Thanks for the update! Sounds good, hoping that it sorts it out once and for all. Then I'll be whipping mine in for the job. Thanks again!
The SD needs corners like I need red meat.

Sicknoteskier
Minimoto racer

Postby Sicknoteskier » Mon Jun 30, 2008 8:25 am

the-bunker, topendz, which models do you have, and are they stock or modified. thanks in advance.

SNS

the-bunker
Stunt rider

Postby the-bunker » Mon Jun 30, 2008 1:49 pm

Sicknoteskier wrote:the-bunker, topendz, which models do you have, and are they stock or modified. thanks in advance.

I've got an 05 SD Model with Akra round slip-ons, disabled O2 sensors, blocked off SAS, Akra map loaded
The bike has been very twitchy/jerky since I bought it with just the Akras & map. I've tried quite a few maps & a couple of other mods to try & solve it - but none of them made this much difference.

Other thing I notice is a lot less vibes at higher RPM - it's smoooth... 8)
Meow

Sicknoteskier
Minimoto racer

Postby Sicknoteskier » Mon Jun 30, 2008 2:08 pm

thanks, much appreciated.

topendz

Postby topendz » Mon Jun 30, 2008 11:18 pm

Sicknoteskier wrote:the-bunker, topendz, which models do you have, and are they stock or modified. thanks in advance.

SNS

I have a completely standard 2007 model. My goal is to eliminate the hesitation/hunting between 3500 / 5000 rpm, apart from that the bike is spot on. Haven't had enough seat time yet to confirm 100% its cured.

Next

Return to How to do it!